Winter Upgrades (Feedback wanted)

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to installing my new custom Coan 4500 convertor this winter. I'm also swapping my 2" TTI headers for TTI 2.125" headers.

Since the engine is coming out, I am going to make a few other changes with some dyno time.

Currently I run a 950 Proform carb. It's been ok, but i'm upgrading to a 1050 4150 style custom carb.

I'm also going to install a Jesel Belt drive and play with cam timing. I'll make another post about this topic.

I was considering going to a 1:6 rocker, but unsure if this would be worth it for me and how the engine would like it.

Any other suggestions, comments, please let me know.

====================

Engine is a 440, 340cfm 2.20 eddy perf RPM heads, roller cam 260/.650/112, ported victor, flat tops with 84cc chambers

602hp @ 5,900 / 575ftlbs @ 4500

I guess my question is……how much of a gain are you hoping for?

In my mind I see several big ticket items listed, but they seem to me like things that wouldn’t show major power changes.

Hopefully you’ll get a chance to play “engine masters “ on the dyno and find out what it’s all worth.

I'm finally getting around to installing my new custom Coan 4500 convertor this winter. I'm also swapping my 2" TTI headers for TTI 2.125" headers.

Since the engine is coming out, I am going to make a few other changes with some dyno time.

Currently I run a 950 Proform carb. It's been ok, but i'm upgrading to a 1050 4150 style custom carb.

I'm also going to install a Jesel Belt drive and play with cam timing. I'll make another post about this topic.

I was considering going to a 1:6 rocker, but unsure if this would be worth it for me and how the engine would like it.

Any other suggestions, comments, please let me know.

====================

Engine is a 440, 340cfm 2.20 eddy perf RPM heads, roller cam 260/.650/112, ported victor, flat tops with 84cc chambers

602hp @ 5,900 / 575ftlbs @ 4500

What’s your actual bore size and rod length?

Most of the stuff u listed is a waist of money. 340 cfm u should be making 680 hp give or take a little. With a .650 lift cam u should have at least a 5000 stall. U don’t have nearly enough hp to up size your headers. These are just my personal opinion. Take them with a grain of salt. Kim

I guess my question is……how much of a gain are you hoping for?

In my mind I see several big ticket items listed, but they seem to me like things that wouldn’t show major power changes.

Hopefully you’ll get a chance to play “engine masters “ on the dyno and find out what it’s all worth.

It will definitely see dyno tuning time after these changes. I have a baseline for power and rpm. I plan to dyno it with both carbs, and then play with cam timing after that, advanced, retarded 2 degrees, and see what it likes and go from there.

My carb has always been deficient, ok at best. The carb to me is worth it.

The headers, my engine builder says it will like the 2.125" vs. 2" TTI's and claims i'll see 10-20 hp from that change. My hope is, maybe they fit better since they were designed for RMS suspension.

I'm a little limited as to what I can actually change with this engine. I'm not changing heads, or intake. They are a matched pair, max ported by Jim Laroy, the last pair he made.

I could change the cam... I've considered that.

Most of the stuff u listed is a waist of money. 340 cfm u should be making 680 hp give or take a little. With a .650 lift cam u should have at least a 5000 stall. U don’t have nearly enough hp to up size your headers. These are just my personal opinion. Take them with a grain of salt. Kim

Compression should be higher, cam is mild.

The convertor was made by Coan for my combo for 99% street use. They said IF it were a race car or a real street strip car that saw a decent amount of track time, they'd set the flash stall to 5k, (500 RPM over max tq)

It is definitely a waste of money!!! I have owned this car for 25 years and have just tried to make it the very best every piece can be.

If you are going to run a 4500 dominator style carburetor, it might be better to get the 4500 intake. You maybe leaving HP on the table with the 4150 intake.

I always wonder if the person building a car can actually use the horsepower they build.
Unless this is going to be a drag car I don’t see how.

No offense meant, but I know with my mild 5.9 and 3.55 gears there is no way I can drive my car in town to it’s full potential without wrecking the car or going to jail.

If you are going to run a 4500 dominator style carburetor, it might be better to get the 4500 intake. You maybe leaving HP on the table with the 4150 intake.

I plan to run a custom 1050cfm, 4150 flange.

The victor intake is deep ported to match the heads.

Do you think the dominator victor, port matched, and a 1050 dominator would be better overall? Keep in mind it sees the strip a few times a year, that's it.

I always wonder if the person building a car can actually use the horsepower they build.
Unless this is going to be a drag car I don’t see how.

No offense meant, but I know with my mild 5.9 and 3.55 gears there is no way I can drive my car in town to it’s full potential without wrecking the car or going to jail.
My car run's 10'son street tires. pump gas an through the muffler's. It will idle and drive around town all day without issue as well.

Can I run it to it's full potential around town power wise, not really, but there is no sacrifice in my case.

What car can you run to it's full power potential around town or on roads? None, at least not legally.

Last edited:
If the car only sees the strip occasionally, I don't think you will notice the loss. I thought you might be planning a race only setup.

Compression should be higher, cam is mild.

The convertor was made by Coan for my combo for 99% street use. They said IF it were a race car or a real street strip car that saw a decent amount of track time, they'd set the flash stall to 5k, (500 RPM over max tq)

It is definitely a waste of money!!! I have owned this car for 25 years and have just tried to make it the very best every piece can be.

I forgot to ask about your compression ratio. I looked and didn’t see it. Do you mind posting your CR??

-
Back