Winter will soon return :(

-
I don't get the logic.
I have several oak trees and a few pines, my neighbor on one side has one Oak.
If the wind blows some of my fallen leaves onto his property so be it.
I would never rake or use a leaf blower to put my leaves on his property.

Question is what's the difference with snow.

In the normal permitting process the surface drainage on a developed lot can not drain onto an adjacent property.
I agree with most of what you said, except for the last sentence. I agree that you cannot intentionally cause water to drain into the next lot. for instance, you cannot put a ten-foot extension on your downspout and point it directly at your neighbor's house. Nor could you channel downspout water through underground pipes that exit right at your property line and point at a nearby neighbor's house. However, there is no legal provision, nor should there be, for water running downhill. That may not be what you meant, but that is what you insinuated. I live on a corner lot, and the side street runs downhill. All of the rainwater that does not soak into my side yard runs downhill into the neighbor's yard to the east, and his runs downhill to the east and so on. I have NEVER heard of any law or ordinance that states that rainwater is not allowed to run downhill and 'drain onto an adjacent property.' For sure, you cannot intentionally divert water (for example from downspouts) at your neighbor, but water does run downhill.

I agree with most of what you said, except for the last sentence. I agree that you cannot intentionally cause water to drain into the next lot. for instance, you cannot put a ten-foot extension on your downspout and point it directly at your neighbor's house. Nor could you channel downspout water through underground pipes that exit right at your property line and point at a nearby neighbor's house. However, there is no legal provision, nor should there be, for water running downhill. That may not be what you meant, but that is what you insinuated. I live on a corner lot, and the side street runs downhill. All of the rainwater that does not soak into my side yard runs downhill into the neighbor's yard to the east, and his runs downhill to the east and so on. I have NEVER heard of any law or ordinance that states that rainwater is not allowed to run downhill and 'drain onto an adjacent property.' For sure, you cannot intentionally divert water (for example from downspouts) at your neighbor, but water does run downhill.
Screenshot_20240926-225254_Google.jpg
s
Say your developing a 500 acre parcel and has buildings, hard scape, paving etc. The nuisance water must be dealt with to not interfere with an adjoiner to their free use of property.

In the land department business your property is designed so as to not affect the adjacent properties.
Even in newly constructed subdivisions I've seen water run across the other people's yard. Unless the yard is completely level you're going to have run off

I have a 24" Ariens snowblower with 110V electric start. I keep it in the garage behind whatever project car gets to spend winter in there. I only need to do a little step and detail cleanup with an aluminum coal scoop (best snow shovel on Earth). The snowthrower chute regularly fires onto the neighbors' yards and never had a complaint. If it lands on any of their cleared areas, I remove it.

I've been salting my driveway and sidewalk since 2002 with ill effects on neither the concrete nor the grass adjacent. I've tried the "pet safe" bluish stuff and found it completely useless.

I have a 24" Ariens snowblower with 110V electric start. I keep it in the garage behind whatever project car gets to spend winter in there. I only need to do a little step and detail cleanup with an aluminum coal scoop (best snow shovel on Earth). The snowthrower chute regularly fires onto the neighbors' yards and never had a complaint. If it lands on any of their cleared areas, I remove it.

I've been salting my driveway and sidewalk since 2002 with ill effects on neither the concrete nor the grass adjacent. I've tried the "pet safe" bluish stuff and found it completely useless.
You have been lucky with the concrete. As far as salt being a poison for grass, plants, etc, ask your local nursery. Regular sand is a excellent traction aid, this is because the sand is not temperature sensitive.

This will be my first winter since 2006 without a 4x4, unless I some across something really cheap. I've never used tire chains in 45 years of driving in Canada, not sure if it's dumb luck or just too dumb to use them.

"They" the law i suspect, make you carry them over the passes in bad weather. The only time I deployed on a 4x4 (so far) was after the movers brought my stuff from Washington to my then new home in north Florida. I got my truck onto a woods road that was wet grass on top of what they called "gumbo clay". I didn't slide into the ditch but the tires were caked and this stuff is just greasy. I couldn't get the truck to move in a straight line if at all. Called another forester he comes to pull me out and slides into the ditch. He called a logger and he slid off a little further in so he calls in a lowboy with a skidder. while we waited another colleague takes us to lunch and we went by my place for those snow chains. Skidder is getting off the lowboy when we return and I just slap on the chains and drove right out! The skidder couldn't actually stay in the road either and ended up pulling the other trucks out by driving over the young pine stand... That logger got him a set for his truck!
The worst vehicle I have ever had was a '94 Ranger with the plastic bed and rear wheel only... 4 years in the UP of Michigan. I used chains mostly to get around in the back country. Deer hunting the migration was tricky with that truck. The road I lived on was always the last to get plowed however and I could muscle my way to the main road to get to work in the morning with the chains. (oh yeah, I kept 5 pulp sticks in the bed all winter too BTW)
If you have front wheel drive and don't drive mountains or out in the woods, you'll prolly be fine, No?

Last edited:
Where we are is wayyyyy too many people , and we have 1 traffic light for when school lets out!!
Its been hot in the Dakotas this year!! Its always hot in Texas!!

I lived in Fort Worth , then in 2006 I moved out to acreage west of Denton about 8 miles , within couple years I had too many neighbors already

"They" the law i suspect, make you carry them over the passes in bad weather. The only time I deployed on a 4x4 (so far) was after the movers brought my stuff from Washington to my then new home in north Florida. I got my truck onto a woods road that was wet grass on top of what they called "gumbo clay". I didn't slide into the ditch but the tires were caked and this stuff is just greasy. I couldn't get the truck to move in a straight line if at all. Called another forester he comes to pull me out and slides into the ditch. He called a logger and he slid off a little further in so he calls in a lowboy with a skidder. while we waited another colleague takes us to lunch and we went by my place for those snow chains. Skidder is getting off the lowboy when we return and I just slap on the chains and drove right out! The skidder couldn't actually stay in the road either and ended up pulling the other trucks out by driving over the young pine stand... That logger got him a set for his truck!
The worst vehicle I have ever had was a '94 Ranger with the plastic bed and rear wheel only... 4 years in the UP of Michigan. I used chains mostly to get around in the back country. Deer hunting the migration was tricky with that truck. The road I lived on was always the last to get plowed however and I could muscle my way to the main road to get to work in the morning with the chains. (oh yeah, I kept 5 pulp sticks in the bed all winter too BTW)
If you have front wheel drive and don't drive mountains or out in the woods, you'll prolly be fine, No?
I've seen the signs in the mountains that say you must carry chains or have 4 wheel drive between October and April. My wife's car is front wheel drive, but mine have always been rear wheel drive or 4x4.

-
Back