Wiper linkage bushings - finding a solution...

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I'm working on a 1970 Dart and when I bought the car there were a pair of really good wiper pivots with the car, uninstalled. So the ones on the car were trash, so I installed the better ones and when I went to hook up the linkage the bushings fit nicely in the linkage arms, and the pin on the pivot fits snug in the new 1970 (black/square) bushing but never gets deep enough to engage the ridge that holds the arm in place. After trying to figure this out for a while, I realized that the old and "new" pivots are identical except for one thing, the posts on the pivot for the linkage are significantly shorter on the new pivots. After screwing around on the interweb for hours I have come to the conclusion that the wiper pivots that I have (the good ones) are off a 1971-2 Dart. Does that sound right? There seem to be 66-70 bushings (square and black), 1973-76 bushings (round, white with closed cap) and 71-72 bushings (white, round, open top). Am I right about this? The 70 bushings are available and the later closed cap ones are available, but I can't find the ones that I apparently need. Is there a work around for this? All the hardtop 70-76 Dart linkage arms seem to be the same except the late ones (73 and up) have a keyway and that key is on the bushing. Since there doesn't seem to be a ready source for 1970 pivots (new or rebuilt), I really want to use the good ones that I have. Is there a work around for bushings?

on that advice I'll go ahead and order those bushings, Thanks!

73 and later closed top bushing snaps onto a ball stud type post. I dont think they will work on the earlier post.

-
Back