Wiper motor attachment to linkage

-

crewchief

A & P Mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Have a 73 Duster I've owned for 44 years and the wiper motor linkage arm has fallen off the motor. My parts book shows the retainer is a clip.

Anyone know for sure what holds the arm to the motor? Both left and right wiper arms work together, so linkage is good.
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving

Attachments

• Wiper motor.pdf
    126.4 KB · Views: 607
My '70 dart uses a nut to hold the little arm to the wiper motor. That arm is connected to the linkage with a clip and plastic bushing. That plastic bushing is what usually fails.

From the outside I can move my wipers manually, which tells me that all linkage is connected. Just seems like the arm is slipping on the motor shaft. Motor runs fine while arms stay still.

Are those linkage parts available?

Yep. Nut holds the arm on the motor.
Had the same symptoms. Final gears could be stripped. They're plastic.

That's what I suspected happened but parts book was unclear. Do you know what the nut size is? Perhaps a 1/4-28?

I can't imagine the nut that bolts the pitman arm to the shaft has failed. It's the connecting plastic bushings that fail. There are 4 of them under there and they are a chore to get to replace.
So here are the common scenarios...
A) Work through the radio/climate control area, middle of dash, to replace the one failed bushing. A short time later another bushing fails. One on same linkage that drives left pivot? One of the two that drive the right wiper pivot? Is it the one at the right pivot or the one over at the left pivot?
Regardless, You do have a recurring problem.
B) Package of 4 bushing suggest to go all in, remove inst' panel, etc... and replace all 4 bushings at the same time. Should be good for another 40 years right? Sorry, Odds are in 3 years or less another bushing fails. Then we find a few "rant" threads about the quality of the aftermarket replacement bushings. "OEM lasted 40 years but aftermarket lasted 2 years."
The root problem is increased resistance in the wiper pivots.
C) Purchase aftermarket bushings and wiper pivot renew kits. Install those zerk fittings and grease the pivot assemblies. To mark the pivot before removing so to reinstall rotated 180 degrees is a good move also. End result is nearly total renew. You didn't get new bronze bushings inside the pivots but did get onto a less worn bushing wall. This is the only way to get quiet operating wipers that could run trouble free for another 40 years.
A little F.Y.I. These old Chryslers and one or two others are the only mfgrs that ever had replaceable wiper linkage bushings. If it were most anything thing else, all you could purchase is the complete pivot and linkage assembly.
I know all this because I have played the fool or better said "Let my old mopar make a fool of me". Sat here about 10 years and watched others do the same. I did finally get "other brand wise" and ended my recurring wiper problems.
Replacing a bushing might have been a practical service/repair many years ago. It doesn't pan out for all of us today. Good luck anyway you go.

Thanks for all the detailed information. It will take someone much younger than myself to attempt it. Hands don't work as they did when I was a kid. The car never sees rain, my problem is that the wipers blow up at highway speeds.

73 should be the plastic bushings, and you can get those on the help wall at Autozone for a few bucks in a generic package (2-3 that fit in the package)

I'm still not clear on if it's the arm to motor nut that came loose, or the plastic bushing from the arm to the linkage.
Pretty sure the nut that holds the arm on the motor is 1/4 x 24 with a wide shoulder made onto the nut, but I could be wrong.

The plastic wiper bushings for the arms and where they connect look like this.

wbushings.jpg

Last edited:
Mine came off the Hamtramck plant in early September 72. I have found that Dodge Main used many 72 parts left over on my Duster.
I wonder if the 72's used the plastic bushings too?

I found in my 73 parts book that the crank arm part number has two different part numbers. Vehicles built before 1 Nov 72 the part number was PN 343 1675 for the arm and after 1 Nov it was 343 1741. Mine can off the line in September 72.

I don't know what the reason for the change was other than using up 72 parts.
It calls for 2 speed wiper bushings PN 343 1684.

When the garage warms up enough, I'll try and stick my head up under the dash to see what has happened.

For a lot of years the majority of them had something different at the first/pitman arm to linkage connection. And the plastic bushing package would contain only 3 pieces.
Also, correct for variable 3 speed wipers was different from basic 2 speed assemblies.
They changed the end of the pitman arm so the same plastic ball socket served at all connections at some point in time. Beyond that... There are a few examples where the same ball socket will serve at this first connection although its not exactly what OEM had there. Good luck with it.

'93 Dakota has the same bushings and I just did them all yesterday. If the A-body is similar, you'll need one bushing that's different than what's pictured above. It's open through the center and slightly larger ID. It's used where two links ride on a common pivot. O'reilly got mine, it was $15.

Punch a hole in the center of the bushing so air can get out when you install and slime them with some silicone grease. I used Silglyde. I used a vice and sockets to install but...

Bright side is on Dakota, the cowl top is removable. On a Dart....ugh.

And yep, I expect to do them again in 5 years or so. Taiwan Nylon...

The piece labeled as "crank with pin" in the attached diagram in post #1. Does anyone know if that piece is available anywhere?

You need to know which speed motor you have. My parts book shows several different PN's depending on applications

A "parts wanted" post may get a good used one. crank with pin a.k.a. pitman arm for wiper motor …
Include make , model, 2 speed, 3 speed, variable 3 speed, as much info as possible.

-
Back