Wiper Motor

-
'64-'66 Dart, Valiant, Barracuda. There are two types: two-wire (single-speed) and four-wire (variable-speed). You can swap the one for the other as long as you also use the matching switch, wiring, and linkage cams.

Thanks SSD My motor works fine but the gear has a bad spot in it. They will go up a little ways stop and you can tell its slipping if you pull it a tad past that spot they work untill it comes back to that spot again

You'd do us all a service if you will hang onto your motor with the bad gear and send it to this guy, who is branching into wiper motor rebuilds.

MJF asks a great question. My 64 came out with single speed but has a multi speed motor utilizing the factory single speed switch and I presume the single speed wiring.

What's the difference between linkage? I bought switch, wiring and motor, but left the linkage.
The difference between the 1 speed and variable speed linkage is the plastic cam on the motor arm. The rest of the linkage is the same in a given year. The linkage and pivots are unique on the '63 and also '64 models. '65 and '66 will interchange however, but, with the above note on the cam. I haven't tried to swap the '63 motor with the '64-up motor but the obvious difference I see is the length of the wiring pigtail. The number on the motor is different too. I've swapped the whole '65-6 assembly into a '64 model to get ride of the bolt-on wiper arms, and had no problem doing so but if you're going to try to mix and match, you're on your own!

I haven't tried to swap the '63 motor with the '64-up motor but the obvious difference I see is the length of the wiring pigtail.

Uh…the entire mounting system is different. The '63 motor bolts onto a different place, and so its gear housing and mount casting is very different. That's why '63 wiper motors are one year only.

If you lay them side by side, they look identicle except for the wiring length and the number stamped into the motor housing. Since they mount a little different, I suspect the park setting in the gear housing is different but I haven't opened them up to verify. They both will bolt up to either year car as I just tried it. The '63 motor mounts directly to the firewall where the '64 mounts to a stand-off bracket that is welded to the firewall.

The difference between the 1 speed and variable speed linkage is the plastic cam on the motor arm. The rest of the linkage is the same in a given year.

Thanks!

I'm now in middle of changing 66 cuda dash and variable wipers in my 65 Valiant. Left side is 1 speed and right variable motor. I believe rest of linkage will fit, just as cudamark said.

-
Back