wiring harness testing

-

stank71

Reaction score
So i have the tail light harness out of the car. (68 Valiant). I am a novice at electrics but plan on checking every wire and replacing prn. I bought a multimeter and a back probe kit for connectors. Somewhere in a video that I cant find now, someone was using a jump starter as a power source for bench testing the wire ohm readings. Is this safe/sufficient? can I use this same set up to check relay, connectors, and bulbs? I have been trying to do a lot of research before I start, but don't want to muck things up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Just about any power source that can operate a stop lamp will do. Car battery, bike battery, what have you. See if you have an old wall wort. Read the label. Look for something 12-14V about 1 amp or heavier output.

If you use a heavier power source, wire a stop lamp in series with the power, so that if you short something, the lamp will act as a protector and not burn anything up, plus the lamp will light up and indicate that you have zero ohms continuity or a short

There are lots of ways to do this. Your multimeter will show which wires have continuity but you cannot load test connections with it.

-
Back