Won’t start, again

-

standup303

Reaction score
Good morning, figured I’d post up since I’m sitting on the couch drinking coffee this morning.

1969 Dart 360la, 727. Ran and started fine prior to me messing with it. I replaced plug wires, and a ground from the floor shifter, car was down for about a month and I didn’t put the battery on a tender.

After charging the battery the car tries to crank and sounds fairly strong, I can see fuel squirting into the carb. I took off a few of the plug wires one at a time with the plug, held to the block and got spark. Have all the plug wires in correct firing order.

All I can think is pulling my truck battery this weekend and trying that since I know it’s good. But like I said the Dart seems to crank OK with the battery that’s in it.

Good morning, figured I’d post up since I’m sitting on the couch drinking coffee this morning.

1969 Dart 360la, 727. Ran and started fine prior to me messing with it. I replaced plug wires, and a ground from the floor shifter, car was down for about a month and I didn’t put the battery on a tender.

After charging the battery the car tries to crank and sounds fairly strong, I can see fuel squirting into the carb. I took off a few of the plug wires one at a time with the plug, held to the block and got spark. Have all the plug wires in correct firing order.

All I can think is pulling my truck battery this weekend and trying that since I know it’s good. But like I said the Dart seems to crank OK with the battery that’s in it.
Is the fuel in the tank fresh? Did you adjust the distributor at all or just replace the wires?

Fresh about a month ago, and I did not adjust the distributor, just the wires.
How many miles are on the engine? You might want to squirt fuel from a fresh batch into the carb and try it again. If it still does not fire, then I would pull #1 plug out and rotate the engine to TDC, then pull the cap and see if the rotor is pointed at #1 terminal.

Triple check the plug wire order on the dist cap

It is possible to have the wires in the right firing order but indexed wrong on the cap. Check that number one is in the right place on the cap.

.......And see if you really even have a spark

FIRST thing I'd do is go over what you messed with, and the firing order/ plug wire indexing is a good bet.

Bump the engine around until the timing marks are somewhere around 10BTC. Pull the cap and see which wire the rotor points to. If it points to near no1, procede to check wires from no1 and around. If it points the opposite direction, that is no6 and you can either check the wires starting with 6, or rotate the engine 1 turn and be on no1.

The way I always have done it is to pull out the starting point wire, no1, etc, so you have a for sure visual reference of where you are.

Be careful with 5 and 7 they are easy to switch

Also look that the rotation direction is correct.

I don't know how you changed the plug wires BUT.

the easiest way is to replace them is one at a time. That way routing and order are next to impossible to mess up

Got it! Set cylinder 1 at TDC, had the #8 cylinder plugged in there, I was off 1 all the way around the dist. I swapped all the plug wires and that car has never fired up faster! She was wanting it haha! Thanks everyone.

Time to get that 360 out put some stroke in it and not have issues of no start or dog.
Nevermind you fixed it lol

-
Back