Working with photoetch

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
Alright, I need some tips.

I said in another thread that I'm working up the build for a '69 Daytona.

I've been all over the net looking at some the detailing stuff that's available. While I usually build box stock, using paint techniques and detailing to highlight the molded in details from the box, this one I want to go full boogie on. Running brake lines, fuel lines, using rotors, etc.

I've never worked with photoetched parts before, like what's available for carb detailing. Any tips and tricks, like what glue to use?

There's linkage available from Detail Master and I think Model Car Garage. You may have to fold it to get the right shape of the linkage. To fold it you can use tweezers, photoetch pliers, or a specific holder/folder for photoetch. (use the tweezers, it's not elaborate. If you saw my 935 Porsche, then you would know elaborate lol!) Use a small toothpick to apply superglue to atatch it if there's a post on the carb. If there's no post then you'll have to make one from scrap plastic or Evergreen plastic. You can use a flat headed sewing pin for a bolt, just file the head to look like a bolt head. Oh, and most likely you will launch the small parts never to be found again lol.
Paul

I get most of my detail parts where I work . Different diameter wire they use for tagging parts is perfect for brake lines and fuel lines . I inherited my Moms sewing kit and use quite a bit of various threads for wiring harnesses and plug wires . I welded a needle to a bolt to use to coil my real fine wire to make carb springs . I have used stretch wrap for factory seat covers . Masking tape is awesome to make vinyl tops . I'm always looking at small stuff on shelves and thinking about how I could use that on my models . I have a zip-lock bag of almond powder-coat that is fantastic at a realistic dust . Gotta think outside the box sometimes .

I use Zap-A-Gap super glue. I like it a lot and you can get it from the hobby shop.

Photoetched parts are very small and hard to work with. A magnifying glass helps a lot. The small parts like to fly away never to be found when you cut them out of the fret. So hold them down with some thing before you cut them off. I use an exacto knife and some tweezers to fold and handle the parts.

Good luck Robert.

-
Back