Worlds second most expensive oil change

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Decided it was time to get off my butt and do some oil changes.

First is the 2006 grand caravan
All is going good. Bought a Wix filter (which is not a Wix filter but a Mann+Hummel relabeled as a Wix filter- they say supply issues. Green label was inside the box!) and 5 qt oil.
16272352031487610642216922995999.jpg

Backed the minivan into the garage with the nose sticking out onto my sloped driveway (easy access and the van sits flat), opened the tailgate to change into my greasy car work clothes, put my clean clothes on the rear seat for safe keeping.

Got the draining and filter replacement done (yes I filled the filter) put the plug back in (oddly there doesn't seem to be any type of gasket, wasn't leaking and yes I searched the drain pan)

Went up top and put the rest of the oil into the engine. Checked the level all good. Started the engine ran for a few minutes and shut it off.

Cleaned up the messy bits.

Checked the level again, all good.

Went to the back of the van and changed back to my clean clothes

Got into the van and pulled it out of the garage onto the driveway..... Kaboom

Put it in park and went to look to see what the heck had happened.

And there I find the glass of my tailgate all over the driveway!

7.5 foot tall garage door, 8 foot tall tailgate!

I had scratched the same glass on the same garage door 10 years ago so I guess it was destiny.

Oooooh Nooo! I've done that!
I backed My Mom's S-10 into the garage with the door of the Camper Shell up, Boom! not good at all. Srry man, Yeah that's One expensive Oil Change.
Copper Oil Seals are just a couple of bucks.

:BangHead:
Hate when that happens.

My 2014 Ram hit the 100000 mile mark a while back. Figure it's time to change the plugs. Almost $100 and 5 hours later, done deal. Old plugs looked good as the new ones. ( I would think they could have gone another hundred thousand) two days of recovery from standing on my head in the engine bay, I'm all better now. Cars sure used to be easier to work on .In my younger days !

Last edited:
Been looking at prices, OEM glass looks to be in the 150 to 200 range figured out what exactly happened...

Rear wiper stem and arm caught on garage door, broke the motors mounts and the stem which goes through the glass pinched the grommet and hit the glass, too much localized pressure and pop goes the tempered glass, luckily the door frame and paint survived in harmed.

Broken wiper motor mount tabs
1627251402326866453960036775785.jpg

Point of impact
16272514341043972658939881538434.jpg

Jed Clampet would be proud, Nouveau Beverly Hill Billys look!
16272515570905076052225850330315.jpg

Mystery broken part that came out of the inside of the door

16272515770479034016735945160111.jpg

Last edited:
Good friend of mine did almost the same thing. 2021 Ford Exploder, 2 months old. Drove into garage with rear hatch open. Boom! Went the window. Wiper and paint damaged as well.

If it makes you feel any better, I did that not once but twice with the same truck. 94 Ram 2500 TCD 4x4 with a camper shell. Backed part way into the garage to load up stuff, left the door open, and made it about three feet before I tore both doors all to hell. Did I mention I did this twice? :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Over on speedtalk someone just posted some tests on filters and that Wix filter failed pretty bad. Surprisingly the Fram Ultra did pretty well. Just some free information.

My son tried to grenade his rear window about 5 years ago. Jake backed his 65 B'cuda under the nose of the 5th wheel camper once, just a little too far. Hitch pin met the center of his rear window about 10 inches front the top. Squatted the car about an inch. Did NOT break his window, just scratched it.

That always makes for a good day. Years ago I had a pallet of stuff in the back of a work truck, grabbed the brakes a little too fast and next thing you know glass is flying all over in the cab... explain that one to the boss.

What’s the worlds most expensive oil change? A tanker ship engine?

Last edited:
Over on speedtalk someone just posted some tests on filters and that Wix filter failed pretty bad. Surprisingly the Fram Ultra did pretty well. Just some free information
Some one posted here a video that frams were for crap and Wix were the bomb.

Who the hell knows!

Some one posted here a video that frams were for crap and Wix were the bomb.

Who the hell knows!

That’s for sure. And it’s worse now. Companies change hands so often, products get jobbed out to the cheapest vendor and Crap like that. You never know what exactly you are getting. It’s frustrating at the very least.

Decided it was time to get off my butt and do some oil changes.

First is the 2006 grand caravan
All is going good. Bought a Wix filter (which is not a Wix filter but a Mann+Hummel relabeled as a Wix filter- they say supply issues. Green label was inside the box!) and 5 qt oil.
View attachment 1715771207

Backed the minivan into the garage with the nose sticking out onto my sloped driveway (easy access and the van sits flat), opened the tailgate to change into my greasy car work clothes, put my clean clothes on the rear seat for safe keeping.

Got the draining and filter replacement done (yes I filled the filter) put the plug back in (oddly there doesn't seem to be any type of gasket, wasn't leaking and yes I searched the drain pan)

Went up top and put the rest of the oil into the engine. Checked the level all good. Started the engine ran for a few minutes and shut it off.

Cleaned up the messy bits.

Checked the level again, all good.

Went to the back of the van and changed back to my clean clothes

Got into the van and pulled it out of the garage onto the driveway..... Kaboom

Put it in park and went to look to see what the heck had happened.

And there I find the glass of my tailgate all over the driveway!

7.5 foot tall garage door, 8 foot tall tailgate!

I had scratched the same glass on the same garage door 10 years ago so I guess it was destiny.
As soon as I read "opened the tail gate", I knew where this was heading. I see it a lot.

As soon as I read "opened the tail gate", I knew where this was heading
The funny thing is 2 months ago I replaced the struts because the gate would need help opening. The replacement (same manufacturer and part number) struts are so powerful you almost loose a chin if you are too close when opening.

I bet if the old struts were on, the door might have closed under the garage door or might have been 2 inches lower!

The funny thing is 2 months ago I replaced the struts because the gate would need help opening. The replacement (same manufacturer and part number) struts are so powerful you almost loose a chin if you are too close when opening.

I bet if the old struts were on, the door might have closed under the garage door or might have been 2 inches lower!
It's usually backing out though. That really tears stuff up.

-
Back