Worst possible scenario

-

hypermite

Reaction score
While installing a set of M/T valve covers on my Scamps 318, I noticed the pushrod cup on #2 exhaust had a pretty good crack in it. I keep a couple spares on hand for just such occasions, but I thank God I found it while doing a valve cover swap, instead of at 6000 rpm on the road somewhere. My question is, If it had come apart, whats the worst that could have happened ? anyone had this haqppen before ?

318 047.jpg

worst...

pushrod punches thru stock rocker...if the lifter was to come out of its bore....you could lose oil pressure...

then again..i drove a motorhome with a 360 with a pushrod thru the rocker from phoenix az to las vegas...300 miles.

The pushrod would have been sticking out the wrong side of the rocker arm. Had one do that in a 440 once when I missed a shift. Had a miss after that and gave the 454 Chevelles a closer look at the rear bumper until it sunk into my thick head that I didn't have a burnt plug wire and pulled the rocker cover.

I should have specified, sorry, it's got adjustable rocker arms. the cracked cup was on the pushrod itself.

well, lotsa stuff could happen...if your lifters use the wire keeper instead of a snap ring the pushrod could have gotten misaligned and break the keeper loose and then suck that crumbled crap into the pump! not good!
You shuld, if you never did, check to make sure your pushrod length is correct. Your rockers (which ones?) will have a sweet spot where the manufacturer wants you to have the adjustment at....as in 2.5 threads or an actual measurement. Also look at any possible contact between cup and rocker. Different manufacturers stuff does not always work together.

Dave, it's got Comp cams "Magnum" steel rollers, I adjust each cylinder with both valves closed till the pushrod just starts to feel resistance, then I give 'em another 1/4 turn & lock them down, this technique has worked for me for years on all my Mopars with adj. rockers. Nothing was interfering, but it's the one farthest away from the oil supply, so it might be running slightly warmer than the rest, but more than likely it cracked from too much rpm. the engine has about 26k, btw. one night about 8 years ago I was racing a local guy with a fiberglass front clip 69 Nova with a built 302 Z-28 motor,& 4.88 gears. I shifted from 2nd to neutral with the nitrous on, if it didn't hit 8000, I bet it came darn close. (I still won, lol)

-
Back