Worthwhile to change the old compressor?

-

woodchip

Reaction score
My freon has leaked out a few years ago, does anyone feel it's worthwhile to change the old compressor out to a newer aftermarket or new mopar compressor? When it worked and before the freon leaked out, it would blow out at about 40 some degrees. Do the newer compressors work any better or take up less horse power? What's your opinion?

Attachments

• 217534_137433016329237_100001876184891_242471_3962716_n.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 205
New compressors work more efficiently, but not more effectively. Replacing the RV2 with a Sanden shorty would save a lot of weight, plus off the front end where most helpful. You can find bracket kits for your SB engine (Bouchillon I recall). You probably need custom hoses to connect, and I think you can lose the surge tank on the suction side.

Study your options for refrigerant. R-134A is now "bad" and to be replaced soon. I have used Duracool, but mention of HC mixtures raises some people's ire.

Thanks Bill, that's definetly something I didn't know.....I'll check w/Bouchillon to see what's availble.

Your lil red xpress is so original looking, I'd try to find the leak on yours first. Maybe, you'll get lucky and it's just a leaky hose or something.....

Cruisin' season is here.........Hope to see you guys real soon :hello2:

Your lil red xpress is so original looking, I'd try to find the leak on yours first. Maybe, you'll get lucky and it's just a leaky hose or something.....

Cruisin' season is here.........Hope to see you guys real soon :hello2:
Hey! your on, we just took it out Saturday 'cause we couldn't control the itch

New compressors work more efficiently, but not more effectively. Replacing the RV2 with a Sanden shorty would save a lot of weight, plus off the front end where most helpful.
Study your options for refrigerant. R-134A is now "bad" and to be replaced soon. I have used Duracool, but mention of HC mixtures raises some people's ire.

Bill, I'm not at all sure about your first sentence. I have been thinking that efficiency and effectiveness would be the same. Can you 'splain it to me?
Ain't it cool that the gov't says R-12 is bad, so everyone switches to R-134 and NOW they tell us 134 is bad! Well, you know the terror that goes with "We're from the government and we're here to help."
I've read that A/C/ service shops don't like to work on those "other" refrigerants. Comment on that, please.

BC

By efficiency, he means that it requires less work to produce results. By effectiveness, he means that the results are the same regardless of the manner in which it is achieved. In this case, the different compressors both yield the same results (nice cold a/c).

-
Back