Would like some imput

-

Mcduster

Reaction score
have a 73 duster, here in Colorado it runs 16's at Bandimere. It has a 318 and a few performance parts, it is a fun little car to drive. However I have a 7 1/4 rearend in it and it is not a posi. Also, I have been told that the car is geared high cause I cruise on the highway at about 80mph at 3000rpm. I have a 727 trans. I picked some parts here and there and I got a open 8 3/4 rear end also. I picked up some axles now my hunt is for a housing to put everything in. I picked up a 360 engine also. My questions with my current set up and adding the 8 3/4 that has 323 gears what possible ets will I be looking at with the 318 that i currently have. Right now the car runs about 72mph at the the top end of the quarter mile. Thank you for you input.

What type of engine mods?

If you got that bad boy to hook with some big tires you might be able to get into the 14's? I dont really know. :munky2:

When I had a 318 in my 67 Barracuda at Bandimere it ran 16.5 with slightly warmed up cam, cheap-O headers, 600 Holley carb, all the rest was a stock rebuild…904 trans, 8 ¾ rear with 3.23 gears (one tire fire).

Changed cam to a MP 284/484 Hydraulic cam, ported 360 J heads, and RPM intake….she when 15.7 with poor 60’ times.

Changed to fresh 360 with Eddy heads, and MP 292/509 cam, 750 Holley…same everything else…14.5. Then added 4.11 gears and she went 13.8 @ 103 mph on the motor and 11.1 @ 122 mph on a 180 shot of spray. My best a Bandimere with the motor was 13.1 @ 105 with some “good” air….a better converter would have been REALLY helpful with all of these combos. They all had the same crappy TCI street fighter converter.

I hope that helps.

Bandimere is, as I remember, about 6,000 feet in altitude.

The one thing (short of forced induction or a power adder like N2O) that helps high altitude engines is more compression. If I was trying to go faster and was building a new engine for that elevation, I'd put some 12:1 pistons in it.

The accepted rule of thumb is that you lose 3% of your horsepower for every 1,000-foot rise in elevation, so at Bandimere, you're down 18 percent on flywheel horsepower compared to what you'd have at sea level.

You can recoup SOME of that with high compression and by choosing a cam with rapid lift rates but relatively short duration (Hughes cams are sometimes like that) to help keep cylinder pressures up.

Good luck with your rebuild. Aftermarket pistons with domes to get the compression up are a definite "must have" at altitudes like yous, I would think.:read2: That's what it sez here....

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

-
Back