Would you buy this Duster diecast?

What do you think of the idea of having this exact car done as a 1:18 scale diecast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

jwrAMC

Reaction score
Hey All,

For all of you A-body diecast collectors (and Mopar toy collectors of every type), would you be interested if a new release of the Ertl 1971 Plymouth Duster were made in the following configuration?

Sassy Grass Green with hood blackout, 340 WEDGE decal, 340 side stripes, no vintyl top, no spoiler, Rallye wheels, Polyglas tires... essentially the exact car (including the plates) as shown in the 1971 brochure...

6142039279_25407b64db.jpg

Not only is it an offcial "brochure car", but it's also a "star car" of sorts as it was featured on the album cover for "Heartbeat City" from the band "The Cars"...

maxresdefault.jpg

Is the car's configuration alone something you'd want, even if the other 'connections' weren't there? Would you prefer if the box art for it referenced it just being a Duster, or featured it as a true "brochure car", or as a "star" car on the Heartbeat City album?

If it were made, it would get some upgraded detailing to better represent a factory-original car with all it's tiny details like underhood decals, and so on.

I'm asking as I was on the R&D team with several others, and together we guided the creation of Autoworld's Dirty Mary Crazy Larry '69 Charger release that finally came out early this month...

DMmain.jpg

I'm thinking of suggesting this Duster for consideration by the team but didn't want to find out I'm the only person that thinks it's a cool subject car.

Thoughts?

I've always kinda liked the brochure car even though I'm not a fan of dusters

Very cool but wouldn't you have to get permission from Rick Ocasek since that was the "Cars" actual album cover?

Dirty Mary car is awesome!

Very cool but wouldn't you have to get permission from Rick Ocasek since that was the "Cars" actual album cover?

Dirty Mary car is awesome!

Thanks. We're really proud of how it turned out. :)

Just like the Crazy Larry Charger required, yes, in order to decorate the box to designate the Duster as the Heartbeat City album cover car, the manufacturer would have to secure licensing from the record company first. Standard practice. :)

id be interested in it for sure. so you helped with the crazy larry charger, sweet! i have one on order. i am looking forward to more custom releases of any mopars. i think those would be big hits. i know the highway 61 customs and gmp customs were.

Just my opinion, but it's pretty close to this one..(American Muscle)

I like the Cars, but not really a "gotta have" because of the album cover tie in.

Rather see something like this, but I guess you are looking for "Star Cars". Not a lot of Dusters in that catagory.

I would love to see a 70-2 duster die cast with a standard grille.

They always have the sharktooth grille and not everyone has or likes the sharktooth.

A die cast duster with a standard grille would be on my "have to get one now" list.

They always have the sharktooth grille and not everyone has or likes the sharktooth.

A die cast duster with a standard grille would be on my "have to get one now" list.

YES

and i think if you are looking to sell these cars to people who own a 1:1 that would be a huge selling point
i can repaint the body and interior to make it match my 1:1 but if it has the sharktooth it will never be spot one

this is true. they do need to make one with a standard grill. do a super street version! i think there has been lots and lots of original cars done, i would love to see more custom cars like the crazy larry charger. even though its a movie car and will sell well as one, its more of a selling point to me because its custom. something different

Just my opinion, but that green and plum crazy is so overdone. Plus the band Cars?? Yeah being on their album cover is kinda cool, but was never a huge fan of the band, kinda overrated.
Ive hunted high and low for a convertible 67-9 cuda. None to be found anywhere. Also formula "S" cudas are impossible to find.
Again, not meant to offend anyone, just my opinion.

Be a lot nicer if it was done as a Mopar without the belly button black engine compartment ! Just my opinion of course

Just my opinion, but that green and plum crazy is so overdone. Plus the band Cars?? Yeah being on their album cover is kinda cool, but was never a huge fan of the band, kinda overrated.
Ive hunted high and low for a convertible 67-9 cuda. None to be found anywhere. Also formula "S" cudas are impossible to find.
Again, not meant to offend anyone, just my opinion.

or a 67-68 cuda without the nose ridge, all the ones out there are 69s

Barty- these are 1:18.

Regarding the standard grille, the mold for that part doesn't exist, and new part molds are VERY expensive, and so unlikely to happen these days. The idea here was to have an interesting release that can be done purely with paint detail changes.

KnuckleDuster showed a pic of a prior release of a sassy Duster, and aside from the vinyl top and spoiler, it also has an all-chrome grille and other "cost-consideration" changes from the 1:1. I'm thinking the Heartbeat City car would instead be treated to ultra-detailed grille paint work, better trim paint and redesigned stripes more accurate to the real thing (always hated the quarter arch on the prior cars).

Carnnucky- The Charger was done that way because-
1- It was a populat strret machine thing to do back in the day.
2- The movie never showed the car's underhood.
3- All prior release of the mold have had body-color compartments and we wanted to give buyers something they hadn't gotten before.
We figured no WAY Larry's car is stock in there, hence the yellow wires, chrome covers, aluminum intake and open element air cleaner.

If anybody here end up owning a copy of it, grab a good magnifying glass and check out the rear plate up close. The Cali registration stickers are totally readable, with proper 7-digit numbers on each. As we don't know what those numbers were on the movie car, we went with 1969440 on the left and Fonda's birthday 2231940 (Feb 23)... just for fun.

And I love that black one with the white stripe! <3 They did an all-black one a while back...

Duster07.jpg

Regarding the standard grille, the mold for that part doesn't exist, and new part molds are VERY expensive, and so unlikely to happen these days. The idea here was to have an interesting release that can be done purely with paint detail changes.

I don't think you will be able to make something very desirable if you abide by that statement because whatever you put out will only be whatever you already did put out in a different color
its like eating at taco bell, no matter what you order you will get the same 4 ingredients as everything else they have on the menu

Hey All,

For all of you A-body diecast collectors (and Mopar toy collectors of every type), would you be interested if a new release of the Ertl 1971 Plymouth Duster were made in the following configuration?

Sassy Grass Green with hood blackout, 340 WEDGE decal, 340 side stripes, no vintyl top, no spoiler, Rallye wheels, Polyglas tires... essentially the exact car (including the plates) as shown in the 1971 brochure...

6142039279_25407b64db.jpg

Not only is it an offcial "brochure car", but it's also a "star car" of sorts as it was featured on the album cover for "Heartbeat City" from the band "The Cars"...

maxresdefault.jpg

Is the car's configuration alone something you'd want, even if the other 'connections' weren't there? Would you prefer if the box art for it referenced it just being a Duster, or featured it as a true "brochure car", or as a "star" car on the Heartbeat City album?

If it were made, it would get some upgraded detailing to better represent a factory-original car with all it's tiny details like underhood decals, and so on.

I'm asking as I was on the R&D team with several others, and together we guided the creation of Autoworld's Dirty Mary Crazy Larry '69 Charger release that finally came out early this month...

DMmain.jpg

I'm thinking of suggesting this Duster for consideration by the team but didn't want to find out I'm the only person that thinks it's a cool subject car.

Thoughts?

FWIW, in my sorry soul: Love the Cars album, love it. I wouldn't consider it a selling point. The Car's latest album, tanked, ( I spent money,, not happy with the product.). Run it , to the details, you want. I would do ,a slightly different one, J.M.O. A rethink , might be needed. I love the Larry/Mary Charger, it's perfect....

talking about the duster, just wanted to throw out this idea. how about a higher detail duster in panther pink? i would love to see another mopar done in pink as very few diecasts were made in that color. without the blacked out door and with the side stripe like in the photo. preferably with scopes and spoiler, looks a bit boring without those to me

Attachments

• 70duster03.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 634
I voted I would not be interested because they are too big for me to store or display. I like the 1:25 scale cars. That is why I collect the dealership promotional models. Also, they are just as old as the originals. They were both at the dealership at the same time. Made in USA too :)

I have the original ad that was run in mint condition framed and in all honesty I still wouldn't be interested. I have enough die cast cars I don't even look at. They were cool at $25-$40 a pop but when they started shooting towards and above $100 I quit

KnuckleDuster showed a pic of a prior release of a sassy Duster, and aside from the vinyl top and spoiler, it also has an all-chrome grille and other "cost-consideration" changes from the 1:1. I'm thinking the Heartbeat City car would instead be treated to ultra-detailed grille paint work, better trim paint and redesigned stripes more accurate to the real thing (always hated the quarter arch on the prior cars).

Carnnucky- The Charger was done that way because-
1- It was a populat strret machine thing to do back in the day.
2- The movie never showed the car's underhood.
3- All prior release of the mold have had body-color compartments and we wanted to give buyers something they hadn't gotten before.
We figured no WAY Larry's car is stock in there, hence the yellow wires, chrome covers, aluminum intake and open element air cleaner.

If anybody here end up owning a copy of it, grab a good magnifying glass and check out the rear plate up close. The Cali registration stickers are totally readable, with proper 7-digit numbers on each. As we don't know what those numbers were on the movie car, we went with 1969440 on the left and Fonda's birthday 2231940 (Feb 23)... just for fun.

And I love that black one with the white stripe! <3 They did an all-black one a while back...

Duster07.jpg

Cool, have to find one.

I just don't spend on diecast like I used to.

I got burnt out on 1:64's around 4000 cars and liquidated my collection.

I still pick up a few to display loose, mostly M2 haulers and stock looking cars to put on them. My area will only hold four 1:18's,but I would box a couple Challengers for some nice Dusters.

I voted no, the die cast models I've seen and those pictured here LOOK to be large scale 1/18th...... WHY? They make this in 1/25th scale in BOTH plastic model kits AND as a die cast model......

I think they need to make more of our precious Mopars in 1/25th scale (the most popular scale) then to venture out in other scales, firstly, secondly, they need to make MORE Dodge truck model available, both in kit form as model kits, and then go to the more expensive die cast pre-built models, would fill a HUGE gap in the hobby right now!

I like Dusters, so I'd want it regardless of what was on the box. I would prefer a 1973 B3 Twister, though, but I am biased :)

-
Back