Wrapping Headers

-
Your tti headers are "uncoated"?

I wrapped the (very expensive ceramic coated custom ones) headers on my wives car and it ruined them. Since then I've had more than a couple shops tell me that is a good way to ruin a set of headers. If you don't mind buying and putting on new headers every few years then it will definitely reduce the heat in the engine compartment.

The end result was that the wrapping kept the heat in and the headers crystalized.

I don't know much about crystals. When I wrapped my headers, the heat retained I. Was amazing. It keep so much heat it, it basiy destroyed the header. Wrap is great for the race car, not so much for the street.

Engine bay heat is my concern i have chrome plated TTI's and do some street driving. If it keeps the heat down then I will buy headers every few years. You all know how hot it is in Florida LOL! So how much will i need?

Engine bay heat is my concern i have chrome plated TTI's and do some street driving. If it keeps the heat down then I will buy headers every few years. You all know how hot it is in Florida LOL! So how much will i need?
:book: I just got thru doing this to set of used chrome 2 tti`s. gotta good deal on them, he had them wrapped to start with, but it was oil soaked,(he blew an engine using nos). I rewrapped them w/ new black 2" . It took 130 feet, and that was barely enough. be sure to wet the stuff down and keep it wet, wear long sleeves and pants too. couldn`t do it w/ gloves on due to wanting it tight. leavem in the sun to dry, then paintem w/ hi-heat paint, the more the better-to a certain point----bob

:book: I just got thru doing this to set of used chrome 2 tti`s. gotta good deal on them, he had them wrapped to start with, but it was oil soaked,(he blew an engine using nos). I rewrapped them w/ new black 2" . It took 130 feet, and that was barely enough. be sure to wet the stuff down and keep it wet, wear long sleeves and pants too. couldn`t do it w/ gloves on due to wanting it tight. leavem in the sun to dry, then paintem w/ hi-heat paint, the more the better-to a certain point----bob
have never had to replace becuse of the heat destroying them. but would buy ceramic coated inside and out if I were going to buy new ones, fiberglass sucks!!!!!!!bob

Hey thanks for the info i bought mine used also I have run the car already and the heat coming off the headers are unreal so while got the motor out im going to wrap them and it will help the turbo!

I agree with famous Bob. I have replaced the headers on my wives car with headers that are ceramic coated inside and out. It actually runs cooler in the engine compartment than when it was wrapped. These scavenge heat so well that it takes longer to get up to temperature.

Just a thought.... all the heat that was dissipated by unwrapped headers is now going to go directly through the turbo when they are wrapped. It seems logical that wrapping your headers would increase turbo temperature.

A note from the pro section: Heat wrap tape is the #1 reason that header coatings warranties are denied. The #2 reason is using hardware that isn't stainless on not only your exhaust components but on the valve covers above them -- rust drips are not covered.

More heat to the turbo will help with spool time and I just want to get the temps down we wrapped my brothers small block and it came out nice it too is a turbo build.

-
Back