Wrong 4-speed?

-

wanahemi

Reaction score
Is it possible to have a B/E-body 4 speed installed in an A-body? I've bought a 68' 383 4spd Dart years ago and pretty much parked it. The shifter was an aftermarket and installed wrong. Only 1st and 2nd worked, and that's how I limped it home using two gears. I finally decided to work on it and noticed the previous owner swiss cheesed the transmission mount and the trans is sitting cocked off to one side. I don't have any experience or knowledge on 4-speeds, any info. or solutions would be greatly appreciated. The trans. has 3 levers and no overdrive.

Is it possible to have a B/E-body 4 speed installed in an A-body?

I have one in my 68 Barracuda, been there for 10 years and 65k miles.

The only issue with the long tail shaft A833 in an A body (besides a shorter drive shaft) is neither shifter mounting pad is in the correct place to have the shifter come through the floor in the a-body position. It's easy enough to deal with by making a mounting plate that bolts to the rear E body position and places the shifter forward to the a-body position.

The front mount can't be used because it is partially under the crossmember.

Mine was whisker close but did not touch with the car going straight down the road but under cornering it would and would send a vibration up through the car. I nipped the corner off the offending boss.

You could likely dent the cross member or may not have to do anything, it will depend on the particular vehicle.

66340SEDAN --- Thanks for cool the link.

TURBODART68 --- No, mine looks a little better. :) I still can't believe my car drove home like that though.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll double check to see where the shifter mounting pad is, and pray.... :)

-
Back