Wrong transmission kick down rod?

-

72dart

Mopa
Reaction score
The 71 Demon 340 I acquired recently was missing the kick down return rod spring. I put a universal one on it until I could get the correct replacement spring from Year One. When I tried to install the new correct one it would not fit because the attachment ear on the rod is too close to the front. I have a spare 1970 340 engine in storage and I pulled the kickdown rod off of it and put it beside the one on the Demon and could tell that it would work since the ear on it is about 2 inches further back. Does anyone have a pic of their kickdown return rod on a 340 engine to compare? In the photo you can see the difference in the one installed compared to the one I took off of the spare engine. I will test fit the rusty rod and then restore it. Should I sandblast it or would you soak it some kind of rust remover? What paint would I use on it?

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 281
Thanks Mopowers for the info. I will try that rust remover you recommend. The rusty rod on the bottom of the picture is from a 1970 340 engine and looks like will work with the spring I got from Year One. The picture in the diagram you posted may be a 68-69 340.

If you soak that rod on that stuff from the hardware store, let it sit over night. It'll look brand new when you take it out. If you don't have a tray big enough for the rod, maybe fill a cup and do half of the rod, then flip the rod for the other half. You'll be amazed. Just remember to leave it in long enough for it to do it's job.

I am going to Home Depot tonight to get the rust remover and will try to post pics on before and after.

I too am wondering what the factory correct finish is. I am thinking on blasting my kickdown, then seeing if I can't find a flat or semi gloss silver in a spray can, may not be factory correct, but would rather pay around $8 for a can of spray paint, than ordering a $15 can from Eastwood and then paying shipping on top of that.

I just went through this. You need this one

Attachments

• 73340kd2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 236
  • P1050015.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 225
  • 73340kd1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 242
............Adam, urs is a 73 up set up, u adjust on the bottom rod...........a 70 rod looks the same but is threaded so u adjust it on top...looks like he has the correct 1 to install...........kim.......

Here is the kickdown rod before rust removal and paint. The rust remover recommended by Mopowers was purchased at Home Depot as well as the paint. The paint is aluminum metal color. I know the paint is not restoration correct but I think it will be fine for my satisfaction.

Attachments

• IMG_0359.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 196
My kickdown has a spring on the outside of the rod which is straight. I lost the spring somewhere and bot a new one from YO. It was the wroun length. Found the old spring.

I love the TF with a kickdown. Right now getting a 904 built for the stroker that if it lasts a while in the drag Demon will be used in the fish. It will be an auto shift so I can foot shift the car if I want.

The rust remover worked very well after soaking overnight. Later I will post a pic after it is painted

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 187
Here it is after painting. I am pleased with the results. When I get it installed I will post more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0363.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 174
-
Back