wtp over drive trans behind 340 in a 68 a body what can i do

-

chubsgts

Reaction score
So I really want a OD trans in my car
Is there a trans that will bolt up and clear tunnel that I can run
Gear vendors is just a tad high for me fig I could buy trans then save for a rebuild.

But I have no ideal what if any thing will fit help would be great
Just a mild mild 340 counsel car
Thanks

Just round yourself up an 833od the were a later mid 70's piece I believe. You can find them all day for $150-200! I have 1 myself, not sure if I will use it or not. Get the bellhousing also.

guess im lost i would think that a 833od is a automatic
so why would i need the bell housing sense all the autos ive pulled the bell house is part of the case inless its a man

and this will clear the tunnel??

i did some research i see its a inline four speed i do not want a manual staying with the auto just sold a man done with that for a while

i did some research i see its a inline four speed i do not want a manual staying with the auto just sold a man done with that for a while

the 833od is just a regular 833 except different gearing, not an "inline" shifting trans...

I don't know of any automatic overdrive transmission that will bolt into a 1968 A body Mopar without modifying the tunnel & torsion bar crossmember. Maybe I'm wrong? :dontknow:

I think the Gear Vendors unit would probably be the closest you would get. You could try clicking on the Keisler link on the right & see what they have in the way of an auto.

under the car like cross memebers i have no problem cutting up but i refuse to open up the floor on this car maybe ill find some thing

The only tranny you have any real luck with is the GM 200r4 is it smaller then both the 904 and 727. You'll need to get an adapter to bolt it to the block, a new converter and make a new mount bracket. You'll also want to have the tranny beefed up inside (these tranny, when built right, can handle a lot of power. Seen live quite nicely behind high powered twin turbo GN with no problems).

Following is a post I made on a similar subject back in 2008. Of course, you'll upset all the Mopar purists that have to have their cars be 100% Mopar.
I haven't pulled the trigger on this yet due to a couple of economic setbacks along the way, but still thinking really hard about it when the funds are available.
Contact Art Carr directly at California Performance Transmissions (www.cpttransmission.com or toll free 800-278-2277), Huntington Beach, SoCal. He's been building great transmissions for many years.

"I've been thinking about a 200-4R behind a 360 magnum crate motor in a '69 Dart for the past week or so. Talked to several tranny companies about it and finally contacted Art Carr at California Performance Transmissions last week. He estimates total cost including converter and installation at about $3300. This does not include a new 8" longer driveshaft since the 200-4R is 8" shorter than a 727. It's also lighter and doesn't have as much HP loss through the transmission. The gear ratios are better than the 727 and it does not require trans tunnel surgery to fit. Art says he has a customer in PA with one behind a 406 stroker that runs 11.80s and still pulls down 25 mpg on the freeway.
Somebody tell me something bad about this setup......"

-
Back