X heads: To Port or not to Port!

-

QuickDart360

Reaction score
Just always wondered about my stock rebuilt X-heads. They recieved a good valve job(no 3 angle vavle job) back some years ago and run strong. Is there a benefit to have them ported? Will the gains be all that significant?

If you're going to port them yourself, sure- just don't go crazy. If you're going to have them done by someone else, you may be ahead of the game to check out some aluminum heads (esp. Speedmaster)- out of the box they flow better, weigh less, etc. Prices have come down to the point where they might be more cost-efficient than paying someone else to port the Xs. You could always sell the Xs to recoup some of your money, too. People still look for them. Your call.

A well ported X head will flow in the same area as the speed water heads if not as well as the CNC ported units we have seen cross the boards path.

Now the trick is, can you have them well ported for cheaper than a OOTB aluminum head? This may very well depend on the porter, how far he goes and how good he is. Some home porters and pro’s alike can get really good results. Doing it yourself is your call.

A well ported X head will flow in the same area as the speed water heads if not as well as the CNC ported units we have seen cross the boards path.

Now the trick is, can you have them well ported for cheaper than a OOTB aluminum head? This may very well depend on the porter, how far he goes and how good he is. Some home porters and pro’s alike can get really good results. Doing it yourself is your call.
So gains are noticeable. Just have debated about doing port work. Not me though I have no experience.

I have done a few sets of BBF heads and that was enough for me. Outside of it being a craft which I was never taught and did what I learned through reading (pre social media days) the mess of grinding Cast iron was pretty bad. That's a huge component of doing the work yourself IMO..

There are gains to be had but it depends on your goal. With that being said the average hotrodder can do the work and see improvements...

JW

So gains are noticeable. Just have debated about doing port work. Not me though I have no experience.
Before I say yes, it is dependent on the mods around it. Of course, bolting on a set of brand new Trick Flow heads on a stock engine will show gains but since the valve lift and the rest of the engine remain the same, your not going to feel the power a 300 cfm head can deliver. The dyno will show power, the track would show power, you’ll be saying, “This **** sucks and I wasted my money!”

What is not know is how much power you have and after but how your making the power. And where. So, YES! & NO at the same time.

A heads worth in terms of power return is often seen t rough the flow capabilities via head flow cfm’s. If your taking advantage of it, to see 2 hp per cfm is a reality and you haven’t hit the ceiling by a long shot but you probably have jilt a really tough street machine.

In term of a stock J head that flows 200 cfm, a 400 hp engine is doing well with that stock head. Putting a good head on top could liven up the engine by 80-100 hp. And your still on the utilizing the head. Now I can say YES! But not at the maximum.

I think you get the drift.
Tell us of the build! Stem to stern, all the innards and outside stuff.

-
Back