X or H cross.

-

'73 Root Beer

Reaction score
I have read arguments for both sides and seen results proven both are better than no cross. I'm looking for opinions from you the FABOs.

Biggest complaint I guess about X have heard, is the sound is not as deep.

Thanks,

I can't comment about the X pipe, as I've never had one. Been using the H pipe since my firts V-8, back in 1981. I like it, but to each his/her own.

The h pipe on my dart sounds great dont know about the x

I have TTI headers, their 3" X-pipe and Dynomax UltraFlow mufflers on my race car. Car picked up and I'm sure the mufflers didn't hurt. (Minor rejetting may be required for best results.) I didn't do a comparison, but I never even considered an H-pipe. They both balance the pressure, but the X-pipe would seem to help balance the flow and help each side scavange the other with more constant alternating pulses. I recently saw a good explaination somewhere but don't remember where! :(

I've gotten lots of compliments on the sound but don't know how other factors affect the sound, like cam duration.

The factory installed the H pipe to reduce noise back in the day so they could use less restrictive mufflers on their performance models.
Does an H or X increase power?

I raised this very same question to my custom exhaust guy just before he made my H pipe duals up. My nephew has worked for him for a few years off and on while going to school and he's got a fantastic reputation in the New England area. His name is Dave and his shop is called Skip's custon exhaust, located in Southern N.H.
He advised that both designs offer equalization of back pressure but the x design is best for circle track racing. Wish I had asked him why.
My exhaust exits full tube headers to a 2 1/2 with H design, through thrush turbo's. Sound throaty as all get out. I Love it.

Same exhaust TTI 3" w H vs X.. X was a hot 340 , H was 410 Stroker. The 340 with the X pipe was a lot louder and had a deeper tone to it. Both were turned down at the rear axle. Both 4 speeds. The stroker would walk the 340 pretty easy. Cylinder pressure on the 340 was around 190 ish. The 410 was in the 175 range. 340 had 3.91 gears...410 had 3.55's, both had identical rear tires.
340 cam was HYD flat tappet 242@50 580 lift, 410 was solid flat tappet 264@50 620 lift

being a fabricator ive tried more than a few exhausts on my car.true dual,h,and x pipe.top end was about the same on all of them.however according to the but dyno the x pipe seemed to have a fair amount more low end torque.the results as far as pipe size and muffler design were not what i expected.

The X on my car made things more mellow, and it changed the tone to a higher one - hard to explain but it seemend to make things a higher pitch when you are deep into the throttle.

I had "H" pipes on my mid 60's Corvettes...they were factory.

Many, many years later I chose to use them on the Barracuda
when I built it. Got the setup from TTI with Dynomax Super Turbo
mufflers. System is 2-1/2".

Love the sound of it....old school

Attachments

• DSCF1965 (Medium).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCF1964 (Medium).jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCF1966 (Medium).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 256
this is my mild big block with tti headers and 3" x pipe into 40 series flomasters and turn downs at the rear diff.

[ame=http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo147/johnnydart_photo/Drivingthedodge_zps405f25dd.mp4]
th_Drivingthedodge_zps405f25dd.jpg
[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Va3sDhqwI"]X Pipe vs H Pipe - Summit Racing Quick Flicks - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back