x pipe installed

-
it sounds tuff. what are the specs on the powerplant? im a big fan of the x pipe. gives a wicked sound at wot. ive built a few, the current one on my dart i built over the winter 3 1/2" and reduced it to 3" before the ultraflows 3" tailpipes with twister bullet mufflers i shortened to 12" to hopefully kill some resonance. this is the 3rd system i built for it and my favorite so far, but i havent driven it yet though. my first system had a 3" home made x pipe with some flowtech terminators dumped at the rear. it was awful inside. set off every car alarm. vibrated the little hairs in your ears. youd get otu with your ears ringing and it wasnt even that loud, the resonance was just awful i built tailpipes and it was like nite and day. then all it did was rattle house windows... they used to say if you were going to run flowmasters you should go up to the next size pipe because they didnt flow that well, they have come out with so many different mufflers since then, id have to think they improved flow. i really like the straight through type of mufflers they flow as well as a straight pipe and are pretty effective, or the dynomax super turbo if you want a little quieter, even they still flow good.

Thanks it's a 360 w/ a 4 inch scat crank forged probe pistons .040 over Comp solid flat tappet cam 306 magnum .555 lift 1.6 roller rockers, Indy rhs head built and ported by Brian at Imm engines and a baby Holley carb , my holley 850 double pumper needs to be rebuilt 3/8 fuel lines all the way back to tank center force dual friction and 83/4 rear 3:23 suregrip

My 340 fish currently has 2 1/2 non-mandrel bent pipes from the headers (no X pipe)through ?? mufflers with turndowns which hit the ground below the rear end. No resonance and a pretty good idle sound. I am in the process of putting together a 3" X pipe mandrel bent system which will also have turndowns to the ground under the rear end. Thanks for the link cause it probably saved me from getting Flowmaster 50's.

Will be exhausting a 416 on the street and the track.

would it make a difference if I had no turn downs to reduce resonance? pipe going straight out the back instead of bouncing off the ground and back in to the cabin

you could turn then 3/4 so their pointed towards the side of the car

Back when I was setting up my '68 Dart GT Big Block, I talked to the owners of a couple of well known, experienced Custom Muscle Car / Hot Rod performance exhaust shops here in Huntington Beach, Ca. regarding performance claims by Muffler Manufacturers. I was researching to get the best muffler / pipe combination for my car / engine / gears combo.

They both told me that most Muffler HP claims are Bullshiite, that all mufflers basically run the same HP, and that Test Results can be skewed to represent whatever the tester wants it to be...

IOW, Buyer Beware of Hyped-Up HP gains by muffler manufacturers.

Additionally, they both told me that the most important part of any muffler is the welds. In that respect they both (separately) recommended Flowmaster as the best built and having the least number of returns for warranty work due to faulty workmanship or material defects. These guys carried all sorts of different mufflers, BTW, and their personal cars ran Flowmasters.

The worst build muffler was reported to me to be Dynomax...

One of those two shops had recently stopped carrying Dynomax because they were tired and done with all the warranty returns for that type muffler...(mind you, this was 2005 and things like Quality Control may have changed since then at Dynomax - )

Anyhow, I ended up with dual Flowmaster 40s and a "H" crossover on my Dart. Turndowns at the axle at a 45 Degree angle to the outside, like this: / \ .

Everything was installed nice and tight and out of sight. No part of the exhaust system hangs down unsightly.

engine004-1.jpg

My car is a daily driver and while driving sedately ( 2 - 3k RPM) the sound is OK inside the cabin. I do not feel any harmonics and conversation can be carried out at a normal tone level.

When we go WOT on the 383, the sound becomes a Roar and is both LOUD and Intoxicating.

If we see Police around, we step off the throttle and the engine sound goes back to "sedate" in a second or four..

Just the way I like it...:glasses7:

The Flowmasters have been om my Dart since 2005, and they still sound, work and look great.

If I ever need to replace mufflers on this car, it will be with Flowmasters.

DISCLAIMER: I have NO Connection whatsoever to Flowmaster Mufflers other than as a satisfied customer

Like most aspects of this hobby, people's opinions tend to be shaped a little by personal preference.
I want solidly-built mufflers on my car but do not like the signature flowmaster sound. I'm thinking Borla muffs may be a good choice for a different sound with good quality construction.

Still stick with Hooker Max flows...get the sound you want and the free flowing of not having a muffler.

hey guys heres a clip of the exaust with the cut outs, they come out right in front of rear wheels cant see em but sounds nasty enjoy just took this video twenty mins ago

TURN YOUR SPEAKERS UP. . or down if the young ones are sleepin haha

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzo4MZi2-rQ&feature=related"]74 duster 410 stroker - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back