X-pipe vs. H-pipe

-

64physhy

Reaction score
Is there really that big of a difference between an X-pipe and H-pipe? I know companies advertise that the X-pipe scavenges better because of the smoother cross-over, but does it really make that big of a difference?

Yes it does make a big difference when you get to the point where it will make a difference.

But if your ride is just a mildly warmed over street car an H pipe (or no pipe) is fine.

I've had both. The H I couldn't tell no difference but the X I could. With X the exhaust DID get quieter so I new it was working. Back in days when I started fooling with cars it was the H but later on the X popped out of the woodwork and everyone started using it instead. With that said I'm not saying the H does not work. I believe that any dual exhaust system needs a H pipe regardless of the HP level of the motor. I have some improvements down the line that will further enrich the usage of the X so I'm looking ahead. There are a few stroker motors that I have seen with just the H so there is always many opinions about the two.

i say yes it does. i have had the no pipe , h pipe and x pipe setups. the x is clearly noticable to me right away. i know that there was tests done by someone (had a chart) that showed the difference as well. i cannot remember who it was. i will try to find it and post the results. either way i vote x.

Explain the "difference" you talk about versus no pipe..........

I wanna know from guys who've done this just what we can expect the differences to be. 8)

ok here is an article from mopar muscle.....http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...01_dodge_challenger_x_pipe_exhaust/index.html

" Sure enough, the X-pipe produced an improvement in horsepower and torque with a quieter exhaust tone. The peak horsepower with the X-pipe was 466 at 5,400 rpm, while the torque rose to 487 at 4,400 rpm. That's an increase of 12 hp and 15 lb-ft of torque over the H-pipe. We call that substantial. The horsepower and torque reached peak a lot quicker than with the H-pipe, and maintained it throughout the rpm range"

With all this in mind, in your estimation, what could a Mopar guy expect in average increases for a 360 4BBL that currently runs stock manifolds to dual 2.5" pipes, and no X or H installed?

If he adds an X setup, what might he expect?

i can't give exact numbers but when i installed the tti's 2 1/2 " set up with x pipe, stock manifolds back, set up on my 340 demon ( which already had stock duels with no crossover pipe) i noticed a big difference. it had alot more acceleration on the low end and upper end was alot better. would i do it again? yes

Wow, bigger difference than I thought. I think it's definitely worth the price difference, especially if it helps in the low end.

I saw a chart on here somewhere about the flow and noise level of variuos mufflers, but can't seem to find it now. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Wow, bigger difference than I thought. I think it's definitely worth the price difference, especially if it helps in the low end.

I saw a chart on here somewhere about the flow and noise level of variuos mufflers, but can't seem to find it now. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

:read2:

silentpower2.JPG

good article...would be nice to know which borla mufflers they were using though

and a related article that deals with chevy ,but is good info as well.

listed here a muffler shootout test done by C@%CR#*^, they show the best bang for the buck, and show the db's

The Mufflers

MAKE MODEL Part No. COST
SUMMIT Turbo 630125 $14.75
THRUSH Magnum Glasspack 24214 $16.50
THRUSH Boss Turbo 17718 $23.95
HOOKER Competition 21006 $25.95
DYNOMAX Super Turbo 17733 $28.50
DYNOMAX Race Magnum 24215 $31.95
HOOKER Super Competition 21106 $35.95
SUMMIT Fully Welded 630325 $38.69
FLOWTECH Afterburner 50322 $39.95

MUFFLER FLOW TEST

MUFFLER Flow at 28-in H20
DynoMax Race Magnum 528.64 cfm
Thrush Magnum Glasspack 507.40 cfm
Summit Fully Welded 343.38 cfm
Flowtech Afterburner 342.20 cfm
DynoMax Super Turbo 333.94 cfm
Hooker Competition 232.46 cfm
Hooker Super Competition 320.96 cfm
Summit Turbo 331.16 cfm
Thrush Boss Turbo 297.36 cfm

MUFFLER TYPE Idle dB WOT dB

DynoMax Super Turbo 89 123
DynoMax Race Magnum 94 133
Flowtech Afterburner 92 124
Hooker Competion 92 122
Hooker Super Competion 90 125
Summit Turbo 89 124
Summit Fully Welded 92 125
Thrush Boss Turbo 90 123
Thrush Magnum Glasspack 92 128

DYNO TEST
All mufflers were dyno-tested on a 355-cube SB CHevy with 10.0:1 compression, Air Flow Research 190 aluminum heads, a CompCams 292 hyd. a Victor Jr. intake, a Holley 750-cfm double-pumper, and 1 5/8 Headman headers.

MUFFLER HP TORQUE 2,500-6,000rpm Average

Hooker Competition 397.4 381.1 286.8hp/351.9 lb-ft
Thrush Boss Turbo 407.1 384.9 292.1 hp/357.5 lb-ft
DynoMax Race Magnum 409.5 394.3 298.8 hp/366.9 lb-ft
Flowtech Afterburner 409.7 391.2 294.8 hp/361.7 lb-ft
Thrush Glasspack 409.5 389.8 297.7 hp/365.3 lb-ft
Summit Turbo 411.5 386.3 291.5 hp/357.4 lb-ft
DynoMax Super Turbo 412.7 387.2 292.6 hp/358.6 lb-ft
Hooker Super Comp 413.8 387.2 292.8 hp/359.0 lb-ft
Summit Fully Welded 415.4 390.7 295.6 hp/362.4 lb-ft

Wow, Thanks FABO. I was looking for the one mullinax95 posted, but the others are a great help too.

this has turned out to be a real nice informative thread. should be a sticky i think.....

Out of all that information above notice that they did not test Magnaflows!

That shows how crappy those mufflers are... "You won't to test the Magnaflow next?"

"Hell no... throw it in the trash!"

We did test a Borla, it was the 14" case size, offset-center configuration, 2.5" in and out. Also, the Magnaflow mufflers are in the chart, only in disguise. If you look at the ones marked Straightline Performance, you can substitute Magnaflow, look at the sizes, and then see how they did. Not too bad at all actually, very well for the most part!

We saw a reduction in back pressure at the engine and a sound level reduction in around 75% of the cases we tested when using an X-crossover as compared to an H. We used a Dr. Gas unit; homemade ones will not act the same so it is unfair to group all X's together as it would be to group all H's.
Tom

Great additional info to this thread VOETOM......8)

We did test a Borla, it was the 14" case size, offset-center configuration, 2.5" in and out. Also, the Magnaflow mufflers are in the chart, only in disguise. If you look at the ones marked Straightline Performance, you can substitute Magnaflow, look at the sizes, and then see how they did. Not too bad at all actually, very well for the most part!

We saw a reduction in back pressure at the engine and a sound level reduction in around 75% of the cases we tested when using an X-crossover as compared to an H. We used a Dr. Gas unit; homemade ones will not act the same so it is unfair to group all X's together as it would be to group all H's.
Tom

do you know which Borla it was that you tested? was it the xr-1 racing mufflers, the turbo mufflers or the s type mufflers? if you can jog your memory to remember i would appreciate it...

Also, the Magnaflow mufflers are in the chart, only in disguise. If you look at the ones marked Straightline Performance, you can substitute Magnaflow, look at the sizes, and then see how they did. Not too bad at all actually, very well for the most part!

Tom

See.... Magnaflows are so crappy people won't even admit they tested them! :-D

-
Back