X pipe

-

duster340

street racer
Reaction score
anyone having any ide of how much an X pipe can quiet down a 3" exhaust with 40series flowmaster deltaforce mufflers? i know it makes more power and that stuff but right now i am mostly looking for any ideas to make the car a litlle more quiet without destroying that beutifull sound of Big cam and lots of compresion...have tried to put on two 20" long straight thru mufflers and that made the car reasonable to sit in but it also killed all that beutifull rumble.. so i want to know if the X pipe will do it better than the mufflers?
thanks in advance:)

It will quite it down some but it will also smooth the sound out (less choopy and higher pitched)

A few years back when I first put my Barracuda back on the road I had a 2.25" dual system with 18" glass-paks put under the car (hot-rodded \6). It was LOUD, had a strange beat to the sound between the two sides and sounded real nasty at WOT. I put an H-pipe between the two sides. The H-pipe knocked down the dB's significantly to the point that I no longer felt it necessary to change the mufflers, it got rid of the beat between the two sides and at WOT it gave the car a completely different sound that was actually pleasant to the ear.

With the 360 now in the car I went straight to a 2.5" system with an x-pipe and Flowmaster 50 series delta flow mufflers. Very little interior resonace when cruising, sounds great at idle and doesn't rattle widows at WOT. I am happy as a clam with that set up.

My experience would suggest that they make much bigger difference in the sound than they do in power.

I would recomend that you purchase an H-pipe kit from JEGS or Summit and give it a try. They are cheap, easy to install, just cut a section out of the exisiting and put it in. If it works, then you could weld it up or spend some more for the x-pipe.

I got a stock 318 w/ headers, an x-pipe and 2 40 series. From the headers it is all 3 inches without tailpipes. Not as choppy but it still pops after letting off the WOT. Maybe it is because of the worn out motor. It will still set off car alarms just by idleing past parked cars but I love it

ok think i will try making one x pipe anyway then, i am used to work with universal pipe bends:) and if the x pipe makes my rollercam sound tame i will try something else like getting a bigger cam and more compresion;) have to giv it a try at least, and it may even give me some midrange power to, thanks for all the input guys!

of course:) put on two more silencers to day just so i can get the car aproved for street duty, and hope its enough for that inspection then i will start fabricating an x pipe as soon as its street legal! i wil try to find some place where i can host a video clip of a big bournout! wich may give you an idea of the sound!

DGC333, do you have any sound clips you can can send me of your exhaust? That is exactly what I'm thinking about doing to my car and would love to hear a sample. Thanks

I'm gonna try an x-pipe on my Duster. I put sound mat on the floor and trunkpan. I dont care how loud it is outside, but I want to be able to have a conversation while driving.

72dustyer said:
I'm gonna try an x-pipe on my Duster. I put sound mat on the floor and trunkpan. I dont care how loud it is outside, but I want to be able to have a conversation while driving.

that is exactly my point of wiev too!
but i dont have anything that quiets it down inside the car i put my hope in a good exhaust...because of my theory about less weight = faster car:)

A few years back when I first put my Barracuda back on the road I had a 2.25" dual system with 18" glass-paks put under the car (hot-rodded \6). It was LOUD, had a strange beat to the sound between the two sides and sounded real nasty at WOT. I put an H-pipe between the two sides. The H-pipe knocked down the dB's significantly to the point that I no longer felt it necessary to change the mufflers, it got rid of the beat between the two sides and at WOT it gave the car a completely different sound that was actually pleasant to the ear.

With the 360 now in the car I went straight to a 2.5" system with an x-pipe and Flowmaster 50 series delta flow mufflers. Very little interior resonace when cruising, sounds great at idle and doesn't rattle widows at WOT. I am happy as a clam with that set up.

My experience would suggest that they make much bigger difference in the sound than they do in power.

I would recomend that you purchase an H-pipe kit from JEGS or Summit and give it a try. They are cheap, easy to install, just cut a section out of the exisiting and put it in. If it works, then you could weld it up or spend some more for the x-pipe.
That is My Plan too!

-
Back