your input about my exhaust

-

68valiant08

wvsaltydog
Reaction score
my valiant has the 225 /6 and i am going to replace the whole exhaust front to rear..i want to run 2 1/4" ID all the way and would like to use some type of performance muffler like flowmaster..also,is there any type of exhaust tips i could benefit from using??just would like to hear your guys opinions and suggestions...btw i am keeping it single..thank you n advance for your thoughts.........

Your on the right track. Just choose a free flowing muffler. Tip just go with what you like looks wise. Have fun and drive the wheels off it.
Frank

2 1/4 " pipe and a magnaflow muffler. Good sound and no annoying "flowmaster drone"

I did that for a while.

2-1/4" Feather Duster head pipe, and all the way back.

If you run the car for long periods of time, what I mean is: Over an hour every time you fire it up, cool. No problem. You won't believe how much water comes out of the tail pipe when you take off for the first couple times.

Velocity drops as the gasses cool. By the time it hits the muffler, your going to have pretty cool, low velocity exhaust gas. This, if allowed to cool wet, will make some pretty caustic stuff in the muffler and tail pipe.

If you run across town for ten minutes, shut down for thirty, then fire up again, it's bad news. Muffler and tail pipe rot. The track officials don't like to see a pint of water blown out when you stand on it either.

It costs nothing at the track to go back to 1-7/8" for the tail pipe. If you want to play at the track with a full 2-1/4 system, just put a cut out somewhere around your butt. That way you can tell the engine is running during test and tune when you stage next to a super-pro! :-D

The volume drops radically as the gasses cool. That's going to happen pretty quick as they pass back under the car. If you go to 2-1/4" for the head pipe, remember that your going from the stock manifold to a larger diameter pipe. Even with the truck manifold, I had to grind the crud out of mine to match it up to a 2-1/4" head pipe. That's the magic number till you hit the muffler. Then drop it back to a noodle to keep it dry for a driver!

CJ

OH! Edit: PS! :: I use a turn down to keep from attracting attention. I don't want to state my intentions to the local constabulary. I don't like to hear other folks junk. I could hazard a guess they don't want to hear mine. With my current setup, Unless i push the R's up over 4500, you wouldn't know anything was abnormal about my car. Quiet! At WOT it kicks 105db above 4000. I make a point of avoiding that sort of thing when passing peoples houses and such. I sure don't want to listen to a bunch of middle aged idiots with noisy machines when I'm in my backyard grilling something. It's cool at the track, not out in the world.
My two centavos

thanks for all the info so far..the car is just a daily driver,and i hit a few shows and cruise ins...i was thinking that going to the larger pipe and a free flow performance muffler would be healthier for the engine and allow the car to sound a little better,thats really all i am after...thanks again,,steve.....

i run 2 1/4" pipe with a 40 flowmaster and a turndown diretly behind the muffler(not a fan of tailpipes). sounds like a lopey SB at idle and smooth up top. i get zero drone.

if your going to get a FM look into "jones full boar" mufflers, they are exact copies(FM's patent ran out) and cost 1/2 as much. i just recieved 2 today from summit and will be installing them on my truck tommorow. they are however slightly less heavy duty.

-
Back