yukon axles Any good???

-

IL duster

Reaction score
I was looking through ebay and stumbled across a guy selling new yukon axles for a bodies. First off I was wondering if yukon axles are any good. I won't be putting that much horsepower down(500 to the flywheel est) but I wanted to make sure I don't have a problem. Second question is I have the stock drum brakes on my 71 duster, I don't want to switch out to b or e body brakes. I know I'll have to have the drum drilled for the larger bolt pattern but I had read on other posts that if you order Moser axles you have to tell them that you are using the a body brakes so they machine the axle correctly. I don't want to buy these yukon axles then learn that my brakes won't work. Thanks again for any input.

Dan

I have a set of Yukon's in my rear. They would not work with the smaller brakes. My supplier, (who I trust), tells me that Yukon says they are for a-bodies but that they mean length of axels. I think I would phone the manufacturer for details. As far as being good or not they are NHRA approved.

Jack

Are you talking about wjrwolfe? If so, nice guy, good parts, fair prices. He's an old Mopar man from way back, master mechanic, rebuilds motors, etc. in a nice big garage out in Ault near where I live. I bought a pair of those a-body axels from him last year and they worked great for me. I believe the issues you are referring to involve the emergengy brakes. I used 11" c-bod brakes, and had to re-work the pass side a bit in order for the Duster's cables to work correctly. Nothing major, just machined a bit out of the crosspiece and ground about a 1/4" off the back lever. May be the same issue for the 10" brakes.

Just to add to my previous comment: The e-brake issue I saw had little to do with the axles, in my case. It was more a matter of the A bod brake cable being about inch shorter in length. But I can see how it could be a problem, depending on what brakes you try to pair up with them. The flange/hub area is fairly beefy and comes close, just clearing the e-brake hardware in my setup, after a little grinding.

Ace said:
Are you talking about wjrwolfe? If so, nice guy, good parts, fair prices. He's an old Mopar man from way back, master mechanic, rebuilds motors, etc. in a nice big garage out in Ault near where I live. I bought a pair of those a-body axels from him last year and they worked great for me. I believe the issues you are referring to involve the emergengy brakes. I used 11" c-bod brakes, and had to re-work the pass side a bit in order for the Duster's cables to work correctly. Nothing major, just machined a bit out of the crosspiece and ground about a 1/4" off the back lever. May be the same issue for the 10" brakes.
hey i just ordered a set from mr wolfe, it sure seems to be taking awhile to get them here. they are coming from colorado to oklahoma by usps. it has been 17 days so far. has any body had this concern?

I'll see if I can find his ph# for you when I get home today. Did you send him a mesage to ask about your shipping status? He always replied to me, sometimes took A few days. He's an older gentleman, probably in his 60s would be my guess...

Ace said:
I'll see if I can find his ph# for you when I get home today. Did you send him a mesage to ask about your shipping status? He always replied to me, sometimes took A few days. He's an older gentleman, probably in his 60s would be my guess...
yea, i talked to him last week. at this point we are both blaming the usps. i do not recommend shipping thru them. i have a confirmation number that it was shipped, but according to the usps, they do not have a tracking number like ups. all they can give me is a confirmation number when it arrives. you no what, by that time i don't need it. go figure.

I've heard-for those that don't want to swap to b- or e-body drums- that AMC 10" drums fit on the a-bodies...no backing plate change out and most are flanged! Never tried it, but 2 fellahs up here I trust have and say it works. Anybody else heard of this? :???:

Thanks for all the replies, I had read elsewhere on this board that when ordering axles(now this was moser) that you had to tell them what brakes you were using. They machined the axle different if you were using a body brakes. So although they were the same length to fit in a a-body housing the offset was different, thus making the drum run differently. I didn't hear anything about the parking brake having a problem. Just this offset deal, and also something about the register in the drum being different as well. I'm guessing diameter on that? Don't know either I just spent some money redoing the current brake setup I have with the small bolt pattern wheels. The size of my brakes are 10 x 1 3/4. I know that I can tell moser what i have and they can get me axles to work, but I was trying to save where I could. I know I'll have to drill out my drums for the new bolt pattern but was wondering if these axles would work. Basically just wanting to make sure that I can continue to use my brake setup I have now, without going to the e or b body brakes. Again trying to save a little money but I want to make sure that these axles work, if they don't I will just save the money and buy the moser's. Thanks again for all the help!

Dan

Coyote Jack is right on the money. I called Randy's ring and pinion to get the scoop on this. You can only use yukon axles if you are running either the 10 2 1/2 or 11 2 1/2 brakes. So basically e or b body brakes must be used with these axles. They refer to the axles as for a bodies, but that is again only for the length. Thanks again for all the help, just wanted to pass along some info that I had got. In response to another question yes it is Mr. Wolfe. He says he has some brake assemblies, so I am talking to him about that as well. He orginally thought that they would work with my stock brakes, but now I'm getting a price on a brake assembly from him to see about converting. Thanks again!

Dan

Ace said:
they arrived today. YEA!

-
Back