Yukon axles

-

DDayton71

Reaction score
I need some help with Yukon axles. When I started building my car, a 71 dart with a 440,TCI 727, 8.75 rear and MT ET streets, 2 years ago, I bought Yukon axles. I took it out on the road two days ago for the first time and didnt make it very far. It has a 8.75 with a 742 clutch style sure grip and it seems like the axles are not in all the way. It cleaned off a 1/4 inch of the splines off the axle. It seems like the barings are not installed far enough. The axles are 28 inch but it seems like they need to be 28 3/16. I have read a few posts where people are having the same problem with these Yukon axles but no one has posted any fixes. Does anyone know a fix or what the measurement from the end of the axle shaft to the green bearing retainer plate and from retainer plate to axle hub is?

You should have removed the thrust buttons before you installed it, they are not needed with green bearings. If the axle wasn't going all the way in, the axle retaining plate wouldn't set flush against the brake backing plate, or the plate would bend if you tried to tighten it. The side gears in your SG are the two piece type. My guess is the axles are to short and that is why the splines are cleaned off at the ends.

The stock measurement for a stock A-body axle is only 27-11/16"... You need to remove the thrust pins cause they won't let the axle go all the way in. If you don't take out the thrust pins it only engages a small amount into the inner side gears. Not enough to handle any torque.

Ddayton71 you posted the same thread in the racers section. Aren't these the same answers you got before??

To remove the thrust button you will have to pull the center section(pumpkin) and disassemble it.

-
Back