YUP, Another charging issue thread

-

johnnycuda

JohnnyCuda's 68
Reaction score
Reading 12 volts on the meter.
I had the alternater tested and they said it passed the test.
could it be boarderline good? shouldn't it increase from 12 when you give it alittle throttle? this is a square back with a built in regulater

Reading 12 volts on the meter.
I had the alternater tested and they said it passed the test.
could it be boarderline good? shouldn't it increase from 12 when you give it alittle throttle? this is a square back with a built in regulater

No 1970's-1980's square back Mopar alternators that I know of had a built in regulator!

Take a multi and test for voltage drop at the alt, reg, ecu and across the battery terminals. Check for variations. I've had similar issues and it was a weak regulator. As mentioned are you sure it's I thermally regulated?

12 volts boarder line. It will weaken your battery Forsure eventually. Mine comes up some when you rev. But it should spike either. 13-14.4 volts is pretty good stable reading. Any higher and your gonna cook your battery eventually. Any lower and you'll kill it eventually.

Does it drop a lot when you turn On The lights and /or A/C etc? Something else to check....maybe you have a lot of accessories that are putting a bigger load on the system than it was designed for? Just questions....

Good luck let us know what you find

Right on the back of the alternator it states internally regulated.
It might be a conversion i guess? when my parts guy tested it and went to look it up and said it was a newer style.
The lights do kinda blink if you will. i charged up the battery and it starts of course but im not gonna trust it may try another alternator too see if i get a better reading.

Take a multi and test for voltage drop at the alt, reg, ecu and across the battery terminals. Check for variations. I've had similar issues and it was a weak regulator. As mentioned are you sure it's I thermally regulated?

12 volts boarder line. It will weaken your battery Forsure eventually. Mine comes up some when you rev. But it should spike either. 13-14.4 volts is pretty good stable reading. Any higher and your gonna cook your battery eventually. Any lower and you'll kill it eventually.

Does it drop a lot when you turn On The lights and /or A/C etc? Something else to check....maybe you have a lot of accessories that are putting a bigger load on the system than it was designed for? Just questions....

Good luck let us know what you find

Right on the back of the alternator it states internally regulated..

There is no factory Mopar with an internal regulator. Either you have an aftermarket adaptation, or maybe you don't even have a Mopar alternator

Can you post a photo of that unit?

I dont know why it said internally regulated on the back of the alternator but it wasn't!
changed both alt and reg now it's charging fine.

There is no factory Mopar with an internal regulator. Either you have an aftermarket adaptation, or maybe you don't even have a Mopar alternator

Can you post a photo of that unit?

-
Back