Z-bar/Clutch Rod Problem Pictures

-

fenderman33

Reaction score
I've got some pictures now of my linkage setup that I'm having problems with. Its all in the next thread down called Clutch Rod and pedal problems or something. I wanted to start a new post to hopefully get the most help.
The car's a 73 Duster with a 318 and an overdrive 4 speed out of a 79 Volare.
Looking at Brewer's site and compairing my bellhousing bracket to theirs makes me think I might have a problem with it. I didn't realize they changed them for the 73s anyone know the difference that caused them to change it?
I'll see if I can post these pictures and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jon
2345252_2.jpg

2345252_3.jpg

2345252_5.jpg

The 72+ bracket has the ball stud in relation to the two mounting holes lower and further forward. I guess they moved the boss on the bell housing up and back. I have an OD sb bell housing in my 68 Barracuda. Using the bracket that looks like yours the z-bar sits at an angle up and towards the back of the car. I wound up modifying mine to get the z-bar to sit even. Brewers has the correct bracket for $29.

So then that's something that could've been causing my problem of having the clutch pedal stay on the floor even with the rod properly adjusted? Shoot, if it only cost $25 to fix it I'd be all over it...I should've just put a dumb 727 in the thing!
Thanks alot,
Jon

i have a '75 duster, i bought the z bar kit from Mopar, comes with the bracket,and it works fine

you're not running a diaphram type clutch with the big return spring still on the pedal are you?

It's got a new replacement clutch from whatever brand AutoZone sells...like Zoom clutches or something. As far as I know it's a factory replacement, so I'm still running the factory return springs...why do you ask?
Jon

was it a 3 finger borg & beck type or a diaphram type with many fingers?
You have to remove the big spring for the diaphram pressure plates

It's a diaphram type clutch...man why didn't anyone tell me I wasn't supposed to have the overcenter spring before I bought a new set of pedals with a spring and the pivot when I had everything I needed already...sonofa...
What's the reason behind not using the spring with the diaphram style clutch? Does it get adjusted any different?
Thanks alot...(I think..)
Jon

A diaphram clutch requires way less pressure to operate than a 3 finger
Adjust as normal (1" freeplay)

I have been without the over center spring in my 69 barracuda for a long time. Anybody have the over center spring they would sell to me.
Thanks,
Rod

Finally got it all sorted out tonight. Thanks alot for all the help...I wish I had asked for it before going through the trouble of getting the spring and installing it, but I'll know next time.
Now to finish the interior and paint it....
-Jon

-
Back