Z-Bar fatigue

-
Not all that uncommon with heavy use and/or stronger pressure plate springs. I've broken several of these over the years but in my cases it was usually the long arm breaking off the tube rather that the tube failing as in your case. Sadly the welds on these assemblies are not that consistent from the factory. I was wondering if your currently using the OE style Borg and Beck pressure plate of if your running the readily available aftermarket diaphragm style pressure plate. The diaphragm style reduces the load on these linkage parts.

My hemis would break there,, till I got some pipe that fit over the end,, and used a piece to re-enforce the tube..

Chebbies used to break there also,, same cure..

I used to do that with my 383/4-speed... shifting isn't the problem, nor is stopping (just pull it into neutral). Just starting up is a bit tricky, shut off the engine, put in low, crank 'er up :D

@valiantpatrol - It is diaphragm style

@Daves69 - I didn't try to drive, but of course I can get into whatever gear I want when not running.

@PoisonDart74 - That is the plan!

I used to do that with my 383/4-speed... shifting isn't the problem, nor is stopping (just pull it into neutral). Just starting up is a bit tricky, shut off the engine, put in low, crank 'er up :D

Although not recommended, yep, ya can.:thumbup:

My frame side pivot broke on me once and I was in that boat. I was lazy though, started the RR in 2nd at the lights. One less shift.

I had the same thing happen to my first 66 Barracuda in 1968. Got a new part, reinforced it, and added a grease fitting.
Mike

My 64 Barracuda broke like that, but I was running a Borg and Beck 10.95 big block scalloped pressure plate. Oh, and power shifted at 7K. Never really blamed the Z-bar as I was way past design intent. As above, I had a thick wall tube made and welded the arms to that. Good to go...

-
Back