z-bar length question

-

GlennB4u

Reaction score
Anybody know what length a z-bar should be for a 67 barracuda/360 small block? I have one that's 8 inches long and works after I modified it, however I'm having pedal return issues (that I'll figure out).

I bought a z-bar on eBay that was supposed to be from a 69 barracuda s340, but it's 9 inches long and doesn't fit. I'm thinking of taking about 1/2 - 3/4 inch out of it and adjusting the levers to fit my car.

Just trying to figure out what this is for/from?

zbar1.jpg

zbar2.jpg

since the lower offset is 1 1/4 from the end of the tube ...this will be for:

big block 1966-70 B-body & small block 1970-74 E-body & 1971-74 B-body

The A-body (67-76) has a different offset and is a 7 inch tube for V8 or 8 inches for a slant six . Since the offset is different I would think it would be better to sell this one as the application above and get one made for an A-body. Would save a lot of time because simply shortening the tube will not be the fix because the lower arm on the Z-bar you pictured is completely different than what you need.

since the lower offset is 1 1/4 from the end of the tube ...this will be for:

big block 1966-70 B-body & small block 1970-74 E-body & 1971-74 B-body

The A-body (67-76) has a different offset and is a 7 inch tube for V8 or 8 inches for a slant six . Since the offset is different I would think it would be better to sell this one as the application above and get one made for an A-body. Would save a lot of time because simply shortening the tube will not be the fix because the lower arm on the Z-bar you pictured is completely different than what you need.

Thank you. I'm now wondering what I have installed. Sounds like a slant 6 z-bar.

Now... how much space should I expect to see at each end of the bar at the ball studs?

I’m digging up this thread. Saw It when using the search button. Now that I’m close to
My 4 speed swap... I’m realizing all the wrong stuff sent to me from classifieds online. I think it was honest mistakes. But I have an 8” Z bar. Well... upon research... that’s a slant six bar. It’s 1” longer. Can I just lop off an inch on the bell side and get away with it ? Or do I need to buy a V8 z bar? Thanks.

-
Back