Z-bar questions with big block

-

Hyper Henry

Reaction score
Thought I had my Z-bar fabbed to work but after I assembled everything along with my Schumacher headers it looks like I won't have enough travel before hitting the header collector #-o
So a few questions are; how much travel do you need, does it matter where the travel is and does it matter where the top of the Z-bar is according to the firewall?? I will attach a couple pics so you can hopefully see what I am working with.
FYI......Car is a 68 notch with 451 originally a 318 auto car.

Attachments

• IMG_2480.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_2481.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2482.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 228
I had a issue like this with my friends 65 coronet 2dr sedan. He has a centerforce clutch, and to get it to fully release it needed 1" of travel at the clutch fork, where the pushrods goes in it.

Hope this helps.

Antoon

Did you have your schumachers altered for 4-speed applications? I have been considering them for some time but didn't know how involved it would be to make them work with a 4-speed.

PS. you probably could lengthen the clutch rod from the pedal to the z-bar to move the start of the movement of the z-bar a little farther down from the collector tube.

When I put my CPPA underchasis headers, I worked through the same issues. I remember it taking about 1 inch of travel as well.

Rod

unfortunatly I am unsure what underchassi headers I have on my car. ( they had no part number, and came with my car when I bought it)they look the same as yours though.
but when I put my car together I bought Brewer's BB Z bar and everything worked fine. obviously your Z bar is different than mine. I think I would build my own Mod Z bar next time, but one think I notice is your Z bar arm that goes down is way longer than mine is.

if you scroll down on the link, you can see the Z bar I bought.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=33454&page=4
I don't think yours goes close enough to the tranny. also do you have a ball stud relocation bracket for the ball stud on your tranny?

Phil

never mind, I see your ball stud relocation bracket, and your headers are not like my underchassi. mine are flat where yours are still coming out from the engine compartment on angle. your headers might not work with 4 spd Z bar. you may have do go hydro

Thanks for the feeback guys. I think I have it so it will work now. I just cut about 1/2" off the bottom of the Z-bar and bent it up a little to clear the header.

FYI.....yes I had to modify my Shumachers and Lakewood bellhousing to clear everything and work properly.

-
Back