Z Bar ?

-

SSing

Reaction score
Would really appreciate if someone could help me here.
If pic is of an A-Body BB Z-bar I´m not hundred, but these are the measurements I need.
Thank you.
BBABODY Z BAR.jpg

I've got one I bought from Brewer's Performance for my '67 Barracuda. I haven't put it in because I would have to make some changes to fit around the headers. The one that was in the car was cobbled together, but it's working (after some creating bending to the fork rod) and I'd have to get creative to get the right one to fit into it's correct location properly.

I will try to remember to take a picture tonight and get the measurements you are looking for. If I don't respond, please remind me. I'm getting older and don't multi-task as well as I used too! :) Seems I get distracted by other things these days. :)

I've got one I bought from Brewer's Performance for my '67 Barracuda. I haven't put it in because I would have to make some changes to fit around the headers. The one that was in the car was cobbled together, but it's working (after some creating bending to the fork rod) and I'd have to get creative to get the right one to fit into it's correct location properly.

I will try to remember to take a picture tonight and get the measurements you are looking for. If I don't respond, please remind me. I'm getting older and don't multi-task as well as I used too! :) Seems I get distracted by other things these days. :)

Yes thank you. That would be great. I´m not in a super hurry though...
And would you say, although had to tell now maybe, the Brewer´s piece is identical to your original Z-bar?

Yes thank you. That would be great. I´m not in a super hurry though...
And would you say, although had to tell now maybe, the Brewer´s piece is identical to your original Z-bar?

I can't answer that, but they know their stuff at Brewer's. I haven't had them steer me wrong yet. On my car though, the previous owner cobbled something together that would work. From what I can tell, he modified a B-Body torque shaft. I know it is mounted to the bell housing like a B-Body would be, and he moved the location of the other end and made a new plate for the pivot ball to bolt to. It sits closer to the firewall than it should.

My plan is to put the frame rail mounted pivot ball back where it should be on an A-Body and use the factory A-Body bracket on the bellhousing. I will have to modify one arm of the torque shaft (the bent arm on the bottom in your picture) to clear my headers. I bought all the brackets, and the torque shaft from Brewer's to put it back to how it should be, but just haven't gotten to it. I'll probably do that as a fall project, once the snow starts to fly and we put the car up for winter.

Thank you for your input. I take what you say with me.
Thing is my application is odd. Project is a SS/B Barracuda and I want to keep it old school look. The original SS Steel Bell is hard to find and to expensive anyway. The Lakewood was not jet in play in ´68-69.
I´m using a Ansen bellhousing I got with the 4-speed. A rule of thumb is Chrysler used what was on the shelf for their different package cars. Normally I would choose a B-Body Z-bar, since no A-body ever had a Ansen bell, but figured I starting to look at the A-body Z-piece.
I kind of have too look at the fork, the pivot for it, the Z-bar at the same time and see where to start.
I like to fabricate thing and pivot for Z-bar in the Bell doesn't scare me of either.
I´m kind of walking around this project right now to see where to attack...
I have talked to Passion but no. I´m afraid Brewer´s cant help me either because of this odd Bell.

Makes sense. I will take a picture of the torque shaft tonight and take the measurements you asked for to see if that helps you.

......I kind of have too look at the fork, the pivot for it, the Z-bar at the same time and see where to start.
I like to fabricate thing and pivot for Z-bar in the Bell doesn't scare me of either...……..

Maybe for a starting point, position your ball stud locations to make the Z straight across in any view.

Go hydraulic clutch and not worry about a z bar.

took some time off between shores and took a couple of pics.
#1 and 2 determining pivot on bell spot.
#3 This Z-bar is A-body and it feels a bit low. I can shorten it some and play some with fork pivot to lower fork some?
I plan to have a machine shop cut and tap bell to get another bolt to make for a sturdy pivot bracket bolting.
Starter is a Direct Drive in case you found it funky looking.
Question:
How much shorter (normally on a Z-bar) can bracket on Z-bar be, before it starts to effect throw action too much?
20180814 determ pivot spot bell.jpg

20180814 pivot spott bell.jpg

20180814 Z-bar to fork level.jpg

Maybe for a starting point, position your ball stud locations to make the Z straight across in any view.

Yes exactly. This is the one and only thing that has to accurate so to speak, and I can procced from there...

On my A-Body, there is a bracket and spacer that bolts to the two tapped holes in the bellhousing right above where the starter goes in. It hangs the pivot ball right out about where your picture shows you need it to be. I am looking for a picture of it online, but haven't found one yet. When I take measurements at home tonight, I will take a picture of the brackets and an old bellhousing to show how it is supposed to go.

Found it, but this one is a little different than the setup they sold me. As I stated above, this hangs the ball pivot out over where you need it to be. I will still take pictures of my setup tonight.

CSKABB.jpg

Found it, but this one is a little different than the setup they sold me. As I stated above, this hangs the ball pivot out over where you need it to be. I will still take pictures of my setup tonight.

View attachment 1715210507

Yes thank you, this is something I will have to fabricate in order to have it in the correct position. And yes, it has to have two bolts to be sturdy enough.

Ok,... took some measurements off my torque shaft. I'm attaching measurements and pictures of my torque shaft.

BBABODY Z BAR.jpg

0815181717.jpg

0815181717b.jpg

-
Back