Zddp

-

/6 Matt

30 Degrees Crooked
Reaction score
So guys, Just ordered my Ededlbrock Engine Oil Additive from Summit, along with a few other things. And now I'm wondering, how much should I use with my Castrol Full Synthetic 10W-30 oil?

So guys, Just ordered my Ededlbrock Engine Oil Additive from Summit, along with a few other things. And now I'm wondering, how much should I use with my Castrol Full Synthetic 10W-30 oil?

4 oz. per oil change.

I just use Shell Rotella T as it has ZDDP in it already.

A different idea.Find a local Lucas products dealer.Pick up a bottle,of their engine break in lube.Beats ,the freight charge.Good stuff.

I am kinda curious how the zddp additive is supposed to be such a great and wonderful thing. The story I remember hearing was that it is what makes a flat tappet survive contact with a cam lobe. If this is true then why are the millions upon millions of flat tappet overhead cam engines not trashing cam lobes? Just wondering about everyone thoughts on it.

A different idea.Find a local Lucas products dealer.Pick up a bottle,of their engine break in lube.Beats ,the freight charge.Good stuff.

i always run lucas! every car ive bought even if i didnt rebuild the motor got a bottle of it. that stuff works wonders.

i do what they all say aswell with the zddp i put in a whole bottle of stp oil treatment in evrey oil change nvr given me a problem its always there i n stock and as much as a bottle of oil and **** the stuff it good takes like 5 mins for the whole bottle to drains ***** thick!

4 oz. per oil change.

I just use Shell Rotella T as it has ZDDP in it already.

Tony,
Be careful with the Rotella. At one time,it was a great source for ZDDP.
The tip was to go to WalMart,and get this great hot rod oil,on the cheap.
But along with many other oils,the ZDDP has been removed.
Blame it on the tree huggers.

is this stuff even necessary with a bone stock slant six? Will running just normal oil (10-30 or 20-50) hurt the motor at all?

think of it this way lol i can not shower and be just fine for a while but after a bit ill regret it rofl

Yes! NAPA told me this a year ago Tony, No zinc (ZDDP) in Rotella anymore... maybe the Farmers are the only one's that can get it for there tractor's :sad4:

is this stuff even necessary with a bone stock slant six? Will running just normal oil (10-30 or 20-50) hurt the motor at all?

20w50 is pretty thick oil to pump. Some slants have stripped the gear off of the oil pump while pumping normal weight so I wouldn't run the thick stuff. I want to see some scientific study that has proof of the need for zddp.

Tony,
Be careful with the Rotella. At one time,it was a great source for ZDDP.
The tip was to go to WalMart,and get this great hot rod oil,on the cheap.
But along with many other oils,the ZDDP has been removed.
Blame it on the tree huggers.

x2. no longer has the zddp

It was the auto manufacturers (ILSAC) NOT tree huggers who specified lower phosphorus levels in oils due to industry pressure to extend warranty periods on catalysts in particular, and engines in general. Thread from an oil forum http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1049812

Keep in mind your slant was designed in the late 50's before ZDDP was added to oil in the high quantities seen in the late 60's-70's. Modern API "SM" spec oils have about the same ZDDP levels (.08%) as the oils of the late 50's. Otherwise if you were to compare the best oils available then to oil now, well, you just can't buy oil that bad today.

Back in the 80's everyone said that unleaded gas our cars to blow up. Your car obviously survived. And now, despite the measurable increase in average IQ from reduced friable lead in our environment, people still insist on believing whatever ballyhoo some chemical marketeer tells them.

I will also be using 15W-40 Rotella T when my stroker gets the new cam but it is a roller. Will add some Comp break-in additive for good measure cause the cam bearings, rocker shaft/rocker contact area, and roller ID's will be stressed pretty hard.

BTW, was using Brad Penn oil with the hyd Comp PP 6508 and the nitrided cam came out looking great.

In reference to post 5:performance pushrod engines usually need a lot more spring pressure,than SOHC/DOHC engines.Valvetrain weight,and size comes into play.As for emissions,ZDDP(zinc) tends to slowly degrade 02 sensors.This can play havoc,with emissions systems warranties.

-
Back