Zoom Clutch What The ????

-

340Dart

Obsessive Dart Disorder
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I needed a new clutch so I decided to get a Zoom. I get it all together and it's working good. I have to put between 500 and 700 miles to break in the kevlar disc. Now for the what the hell. When I get it at 3000rpm the free play in the pedal goes away. You now have more pressure, like a diaphragm clutch. Their is no free play what so ever. When the rpm's come down you can push the pedal and it's back to normal and you have your correct free play. It only does it at 3000rpm and up. I talked to the tech at Zoom and he has no clue. Told me not to worry about it. Talked to the engineer and he said the same thing. I hate to have to take this apart again but I would like to know what everybody thinks. Thanks

Fred B

I needed a new clutch so I decided to get a Zoom. I get it all together and it's working good. I have to put between 500 and 700 miles to break in the kevlar disc. Now for the what the hell. When I get it at 3000rpm the free play in the pedal goes away. You now have more pressure, like a diaphragm clutch. Their is no free play what so ever. When the rpm's come down you can push the pedal and it's back to normal and you have your correct free play. It only does it at 3000rpm and up. I talked to the tech at Zoom and he has no clue. Told me not to worry about it. Talked to the engineer and he said the same thing. I hate to have to take this apart again but I would like to know what everybody thinks. Thanks

Fred B

Only logical explaination is at 3K rpm and up centrificul force is sending the three fingers outword. I assume you used th Borg and Beck style 3 finger preasure plate. I don't think I would worry about it either. You may want to loosen or increase the free play so your release bearing isn't spining at higher rpm's thus shortening it's life.

That is part of Centerforce's trick for holding pow. But they are a diaphragm type, and have a wire "ring" holding little weights on top of the fingers.

-
Back