ZZZZZ BAR GEOMETRY

-

Bucky Jones

Reaction score
Looks like the outboard Z bar, ball stud and bracket have been re attached and welded in the wrong position by a previous owner...??? Car is a butchered, 67 Barracuda S, 4 speed. Have removed a 340 monster (available) engine. I immediately noticed Z bar abnormalities: levers and fork release rod had been skewed (bent), and the Z bar was not parallel to the ground (bell housing ball stud is higher off the ground than the ball stud on the frame)! I have installed a rebuilt, 273 Commando engine along with the 340 flywheel, clutch, bell housing, transmission and repaired Z bar. The levers are not in alignment. Inboard lever hits the starter and does not allow proper attachment of release rod to the fork and inboard lever does not mate to the clutch pedal rod properly. The ball stud bracket on the frame looks like it has been re welded back to the frame and is not oriented properly. Too low? If this outboard ball stud and bracket were raised, the Z bar would be oriented properly and all would be in alignment. A picture of the proper ball stud bracket attachment to the frame would be most helpful. Sure looks like my bracket is in the wrong place. Car had fender well headers at one point. FYI. Wrong bell housing? HELP please.

A picture half way down the page here has the mount. The diagrams are wrong for the mount orientation.
www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/4sptech.shtml

Make sure you have the correct parts for the application. You might try to use the clutch rod where it's comes through the firewall to help line up the bell crank frame mount.

A picture half way down the page here has the mount. The diagrams are wrong for the mount orientation.
www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/4sptech.shtml

Make sure you have the correct parts for the application. You might try to use the clutch rod where it's comes through the firewall to help line up the bell crank frame mount.
Thanx for the ideas. Got me researching inboard ball stud mounts. I think what I need is a 72-74 small block, bell crank ball stud mount rather than what looks like a 68-71 small block, bell crank ball stud mount that I am using. This 340 that I removed is a 1972 and I bet its bell housing that I am using is a 72 also and the 68 ball stud mount was used messing up the Z bar alignment. The 72 mount would lower the inboard end of my Z bar about an inch which would bring my Z bar back into alignment. 68 bell housings and 72 bell housings applications must be geometrically different in A bodies.??? Wonder what a 67, 273 ball stud mount looks like?

-
Back