Looking for the way of old school

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How did the dudes back in the bo/lo dart and barracuda ss days do the door windows?
I would like to also do what they did since I'm trying to do a somewhat period correct build but as a 70 dart pro stock.
I know they had snaps on old seatbelts
But what did they do inside with the rest of the guts ???
If anyone has a few pictures I'd greatly appreciate it
Thank you.

Deleted them to save weight. The only thing you need is the tracks.
A lot of guys even deleted the inside door latch handles and linkages- just drop the window and open the door with the outside handle. Door locks went bye-bye too.

Deleted them to save weight. The only thing you need is the tracks.
A lot of guys even deleted the inside door latch handles and linkages- just drop the window and open the door with the outside handle. Door locks went bye-bye too.
Thank you, yes I'm trying to pull every extra gram out of this car. I was thinking of making stops for the quarter glass to keep them up too.

My Opel has lexan side windows in the doors, drivers side rolls up with a crank, passenger side has two straps, and no guts.
Snap connections at the bottom of the door panel (aluminum) for the straps.

67 Dart sedan. I fixed the rear lexan glass by gluing them into the frame with silicone.Then removed the regulator and anything else in there.Installed aluminum angle riveted to support the lexan.
Passenger door lexan same way with a piece of aluminum angle riveted inside to support the lexan.
Driver door lexan riveted 2'' strap to bottom using extra ratchet strap material. Seat belt material can be used also.
placed snaps for when window was up at the base of the door. Also a snap when the window was down to keep the strap in place. Hardtop cars use tubing around the perimeter of the door lexan, usually using screws or rivets.

67 Dart sedan. I fixed the rear lexan glass by gluing them into the frame with silicone.Then removed the regulator and anything else in there.Installed aluminum angle riveted to support the lexan.
Passenger door lexan same way with a piece of aluminum angle riveted inside to support the lexan.
Driver door lexan riveted 2'' strap to bottom using extra ratchet strap material. Seat belt material can be used also.
placed snaps for when window was up at the base of the door. Also a snap when the window was down to keep the strap in place. Hardtop cars use tubing around the perimeter of the door lexan, usually using screws or rivets.
Thank you for all the detail

The racers in the hemi Darts and B'cudas didn't have to do anything. Cars came with Corning light windows - tracks and no mechanism, seat belt material attached to the bottom of the window runs up the inside of the glass and out the top of the door doubled over and and snapped to the bottom metal below the door panel. Unsnap the snap and drop the window. All from the "factory" (Hurst that is...). Except for the light glass it's easy to do and the mechanism weighs a ton...

The real 68 Hemi cars had deleted window regulators from the factory. All they had was a seat belt type strap that pulled the window up and snapped or fastened to the inside of the door. Did those cars even have door panels?

The racers in the hemi Darts and B'cudas didn't have to do anything. Cars came with Corning light windows - tracks and no mechanism, seat belt material attached to the bottom of the window runs up the inside of the glass and out the top of the door doubled over and and snapped to the bottom metal below the door panel. Unsnap the snap and drop the window. All from the "factory" (Hurst that is...). Except for the light glass it's easy to do and the mechanism weighs a ton...
You treed me! So then, they did have door panels? Minimalistic at best, I bet.

Did door panels with sheet aluminum from Lowes. 64 Dart. Musta had the shakes that day. Crappy photo.

IMG_1734.jpg

How did the dudes back in the bo/lo dart and barracuda ss days do the door windows?
I would like to also do what they did since I'm trying to do a somewhat period correct build but as a 70 dart pro stock.
Thank you.
SS SEAT BELT DOOR GLASS MECHANISM

Thank you.
took it all out except for the tracks for the window to go up and down in ...

Definitely had door panels to start at least. I always planned on taking more pictures of it, but not my car or shop. Was very nice getting a chance to see an original one. :)

A158EA44-E5C3-4EB6-955A-4195A0B62ACB.jpeg

77DDA19A-9D1D-4E11-A30C-20D71B0D586C.jpeg

The real 68 Hemi cars had deleted window regulators from the factory. All they had was a seat belt type strap that pulled the window up and snapped or fastened to the inside of the door. Did those cars even have door panels?
They had the small bucket seats out of the vans and no rear seating. The odd thing was, all the 68 Hemi Darts I seen, had carpeting.

-
Back