1970 road runner wood grain steering wheel

-

Henry T

Reaction score
Really like the 69 and earlier dart wood grain wheels.I wood like to put one in my 73 dart but i guess it won't fit because of the larger diameter wheel.I did notice you could get one for a 70 road runner and it has a plastic ring to make up for the larger column just wondering could that possibly work? Any help would be appreciated .

When you say larger diameter wheel you're referring to the diameter of the steering wheel ? I believe they're the same, could be wrong and if there's a difference it's not significant enough to stop you from installing one. You would need the 70 and up horn adapter which has a larger diameter for the larger diameter steering column. Maybe the membership can verify or correct me.

When you say larger diameter wheel you're referring to the diameter of the steering wheel ? I believe they're the same, could be wrong and if there's a difference it's not significant enough to stop you from installing one. You would need the 70 and up horn adapter which has a larger diameter for the larger diameter steering column. Maybe the membership can verify or correct me.

Ya when I said my wheel is bigger I meant the column is bigger on the 70 and up and there is one available for the 70 road runner thinking maybe it might fit.

Two different adapters. First one is a 70 and up style which is wider, second is 68/69 style. Hope this helps

20240430_104745.jpg

20240430_104735.jpg

20240430_104630.jpg

20240430_104615.jpg

There’s a plastic adapter that goes on the back side to suit the larger column but it shows holes in the spokes that it snaps in too .

There’s a plastic adapter that goes on the back side to suit the larger column but it shows holes in the spokes that it snaps in too .
OK I think I have seen what you're referring to but I don't have that. But to answer your question I believe you can install what you would like. (Woodgrain wheel).

OK I think I have seen what you're referring to but I don't have that. But to answer your question I believe you can install what you would like. (Woodgrain wheel).
Thanks I appreciate your input on this.The confusing part for me is the wheels that are listed to 70 but not any newer and it was 1970 the columns got larger.

Thanks I appreciate your input on this.The confusing part for me is the wheels that are listed to 70 but not any newer and it was 1970 the columns got larger.
No worries. I think that the woodgrain wheel got fased out, maybe too expensive to make ? Around 70 the tuff wheel was introduced maybe replacing the former woodgrain ?

-
Back