FACTORY EXHAUST MANIFOLDS.

-

transman

Reaction score
I've got a friend that is in the process of putting a 68 Cuda notchback together. It's a 383 car with a 727. While the 383 is fun, he's got a warmed over 440 he wants to put in it. HIs problem is this: the factory exhaust manifolds.
He wants to know if the 383 and 440 use the same manifolds or were they different. I thought at one time I read or heard the drivers manifold was different with the 440 engine. Any information much appreciated.
If at all possible, he would like to avoid headers.

Does he have another 1/2 inch clearance from the 383 manifolds? Also the 383 and the 440 can theoretically put out the same HP with the SAME heads, althought the power band is higher up with the 383. Torque is another story with the 440 pounding the 383.

I've got a friend that is in the process of putting a 68 Cuda notchback together. It's a 383 car with a 727. While the 383 is fun, he's got a warmed over 440 he wants to put in it. HIs problem is this: the factory exhaust manifolds.
He wants to know if the 383 and 440 use the same manifolds or were they different. I thought at one time I read or heard the drivers manifold was different with the 440 engine. Any information much appreciated.
If at all possible, he would like to avoid headers.

The 440 cars use a different manifold on the drivers side and a spacer on the passenger side, but the 383 manifolds will work. My 440 Dart came with 383 manifolds, drivers side gets close to the steering column where the manifold curls around it but they will work.

440 Drivers side....

440Abody-Dr.ExMan-1-sml.jpg

Also I will add that only some 440s had the correct noses on the block for the drivers side motor mount. U could get a mount made if u have to. Kim

-
Back