Kick down linkage

-

64_Barracuda

Virginia Beach VA
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, if you have an early A I just did something I should have done 30 years ago. So I have had some issues with the old style kick down linkage clips popping off the bell crank that connects the rods. See picture. Well coming home from Carlisle the car didn't shift quite right and I had no kick down, so I knew something was up.......

So I looked at the rods for a while and then glanced over at the 65 I am building now, hot rod with a late model 904. I then thought why not just drill a hole through the rod use a washer and cotter pin. Holy crap it worked. No more clips popping off! Just thought I would pass it on.

Attachments

• image-886471876.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 194
  • image-2067903622.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 207
Majority of the linkage rods are as hard as the average drill bit. For some, drilling holes in them will be easier said than done.

Now that's thinking out of the box. The factory did things to save money. You did things to make your car better. Good for you.

Thanks guys! Just passed it along. Red I was surprised after I got a good center punch hit how easy drilling through the steel rod was.

I'm having the same problem on a '65 Formula S. Do you have any fotos of the finished modifications? I'm having a little trouble picturing in my mind exactly how to go about the modification. Is it just like the some of the carb linkage on some cars? Thank you.

I'm having the same problem on a '65 Formula S. Do you have any fotos of the finished modifications? I'm having a little trouble picturing in my mind exactly how to go about the modification. Is it just like the some of the carb linkage on some cars? Thank you.

Yeah my dumb *** didn't take any pictures on jacks. Let me try and crawl under there. But yes just like a carb linkage. I will send you pictures bud.

Many of the 60s models had the wire curly Q retainer that pushed through a hole in the rod on the shift arm of the transmission. It is harder to do but you can also groove the rod for a "C" or "E" clip.

If you happen to have a hardened linkage rod just buy a carbide bit. The small carbide bits don't cost that much anyway. Just be careful when you're drilling because the carbide bits are very, very hard and, therefore, brittle. Regular drill bits are also brittle but are a little softer than carbide bits. I drilled a cotter pin hole in a mopar shifter linkage and I used a regular drill bit. Just drill it carefully!!

treblig

If you happen to have a hardened linkage rod just buy a carbide bit. The small carbide bits don't cost that much anyway. Just be careful when you're drilling because the carbide bits are very, very hard and, therefore, brittle. Regular drill bits are also brittle but are a little softer than carbide bits. I drilled a cotter pin hole in a mopar shifter linkage and I used a regular drill bit. Just drill it carefully!! treblig

Yeah I had no real trouble just center punching for the start.

-
Back