Lift with Stock Rocker Arms

-
What engine would you like to put it in? It's quite a cam. tmm

360 .060, approximately 10.2 to 1 compression. Ported J-heads 2.02 valves. 3500 converter, 4.56 gear. Choice of intakes, performer or Victor 340. 700 holley or 750 Proform.

yes..but the stock rockers are less then 1.5 ratio...so less lift at the valve..and any increase in spring pressure will punch the pushrod thru the stock rocker.

i would find a set of adjustable rockers...

I have a set of adjustable rockers, but just tired of messing with them on a hydraulic cam, if I stey with the adjustable im going to go with a solid cam. What is your advice on adjusting hydraulic? Im 1/2 turn past zero lash and they still rattle.

yes..but the stock rockers are less then 1.5 ratio...so less lift at the valve..and any increase in spring pressure will punch the pushrod thru the stock rocker.

i would find a set of adjustable rockers...

X2 Didn't want to see anybody stuff that cam in a 273 2 bbl. motor. Stock rockers or not. tmm

I ran a 509 mopar cam for years with the stock non adjustable rockers and didnt have any problems, but wasn't sure if .533 was too much lift?

well...with the stock rocker ratio down around 1.45 at best..and the fact you are going to loose another .020 lift due to the pushrod angle ....i would not worry about it...just spring pressure

Tony's right, it's the spring pressure that's more of a problem than the lift. I ran that very same cam in my old 360 that was nearly identical to your build and the spring pressure made quick work wearing out the stock rockers. He's also right about the lift. You'll be lucky to have much more than .500 lift with stock rockers even though the cam is rated at .533". If you want a true .533 lift buy 1.6 ratio rockers as they'll make up for the lift loss due to the geometry angle loss that stock block LA's have. Buy good rockers too, not cheap Chinese junk or you'll be sorry in the end.

I put a comp XE282S .520/.540 solid cam in my engine. Sounds like a good size cam but mocked up with 273 rockers - the .020 lash I only ended up with .485/.505 lift @ the valve

Did some quick math. With the .513/.533 cam and @ best 1.46 stock rocker ratio would equal .499/.518 and then subtract .018 for the lost lift due to pushrod angle and Im coming up with .481/.500 lift @ best @ the valve. Food for thought, not really answering your question. That is an awesome cam for your combo buy the way.

I just want to stay with non adjustable with a hydraulic cam. If im gonna go with adjustable again im gonna go solid. My other question is, Im about 1/2 turn past zero lash and still have alot of valvetrain noise, what is the recommended lash adjustment on a hydraulic cam?

there are some heavy duty non adjustable rockers available from mopar....dont know if you want to spend the money for them....just an option...

What would be a good option for a solid cam. My car sees alot of track use. So street use is limited. I really only want to turn the motor 6500 or less. So what is the best cam with my combo that is gonna give me the best performance?

I just want to stay with non adjustable with a hydraulic cam. If im gonna go with adjustable again im gonna go solid. My other question is, Im about 1/2 turn past zero lash and still have alot of valvetrain noise, what is the recommended lash adjustment on a hydraulic cam?

One of my 340s has a MP .508 cam with 273 rockers. I adjusted the rockers half a turn past 0 lash and it runs nice and quiet, no valve train noise.

1/2 turn should be enough but it wouldn't hurt to go 3/4. When you say their noisy, do you mean their noisy on cold startup or noisy all the time. Have you positively identified where the noise is coming from? I ask that because several yrs. ago I put a set of Comp look a like rockers (probably Chinese) on a 360 and they were real noisy no matter how I adjusted them. I finally figured out the geometry was so bad on them the roller tip was rolling off the valve stem edge just a little bit and when it rolled back it was causing a clack. Changed them for some good rockers and noise went away.

What would be a good option for a solid cam. My car sees alot of track use. So street use is limited. I really only want to turn the motor 6500 or less. So what is the best cam with my combo that is gonna give me the best performance?

The Racer Brown ST-14. I'm running it in my 408 and it runs like a scalded dog to 56-5700 so in a 360 I'd guess it'll pull another 500 rpm. If that's not enough his ST-22 would pull to 6500 I'm sure. Your best bet would be to call Jim and give him all your cars specs and he'll tell ya what'll work best. He doesn't have a website but his ph # is 410-866-7660. Call him in the late afternoon/evening as he grinds cams in the morning and is hard to get hold of.

If you like Comp their 20-231-4 is a real good cam for a 360 build like yours and should peak in the low to mid 6000 range

Lunati has some great cams too but they changed their numbering system so I don't know what's what with them anymore.

-
Back