New Best @ Mopars at the Valley

-

Mopower71

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Had a great time at LVD today.
Met Mikesduster, talked to Walt, and before I even got off my road this morning, I met 8secdart. I didn't know he only lived a few miles from me.
My day started out good and got progressivly better.Started with a new best, and got better from there.
First run with this engine, and it's been a year since I've driven the car.
First run ran a 12.06 @ 111mph
Car was loading and unloading the tires for the first 60' give or take.
Blew the alt. water pump off at the end of the track.
Put the belt back on, got her cooled off tweaked the rear shocks, and went at it again.
Second run, 11.84 @ 113, Hee Haw, were cooking now. Literally. Blew the belt off again.
First round of eliminations. Car hooked real good and I knew it was going to run better than my dial in.
Watched the mirror and saw where the other car was and I took my foot off the throttle, and then back in. I had to burn some of the time off.
I should have just tapped the brake.
I lost but the car ran an 11.83 @ 109 Blew the belt off AgAiN
My 1/8th mile time was .10 quicker than the 10.84 run.
I had a Great Day. :lol:

Congrats Norm. Glad to here its running much better. I bet you almost wish you kept your foot in it.

Sounds like your alt isnt lined up well with your crank/water pump pulleys.

AdamR said:
Congrats Norm. Glad to here its running much better. I bet you almost wish you kept your foot in it.

Sounds like your alt isnt lined up well with your crank/water pump pulleys.
Thanks Adam.
Wish you could have made it there.
Hey now, my wife said the same thing, I shouldn't have lifted. I bet the dang thing had a nice low 11.7 in it for me. The 60' on the 11.84 run was 1.713 and a 7.56 1/8 mile, and on the lifted 11.83 run it was a 1.65 with a 7.48 1/8th.
I'm guessing there is an alignment problem on te alt. also. It comes off on the deceleration.
I'm also running the pullies from my other 440 that did the same thing.
I'ts going through the traps at 6800 rpm, that's with the 325x50x15 BFG's and 4.10 rear gears. First run of the day I was hitting the rev limmiter through the traps. Running through a set of crappy 2 1/2" mufflers.
I cant wait to do some tuning and uncork the exhaust. :lol:

HEY NORM,

it was good meeting you too!!!.....i KNEW when you told me you launched the 1st time at 3500 and went 12's that 11's where right around the corner!!

so are you glad that i told you to launch at 1800-2000??

The distributor springs are still playing games with me. Last run had it about 1200, the it shot up over 2500. I just matted it and let her fly.
It was good meeting you too.
And, Just like everytime I've been there and wanted to weigh the car, it wasn't on, or that's what the girl at the time slip booth told me, plus, somebody dropped oil right in front of it.

Congrats on the new best ! Sounds like you have her starting to show its real potential. 1.65 sixty is not bad but I bet it has more. My sons Dart was hooking hard on his Hoosier QTP tires last time out and his best 60 is a 1.61 running mid 11's. For reference he is shifting his 400 at 6200 and traps about 6400 with 3.91's and a 26" tall tire. Ron

Sounds like you've improved a bit Norm. Nice work. I had to move wifee's grandmother to the retirement community Sat, so no mopar day for me this year.

On the convertor, you should be limiting the slippage in high gear as much as posssible. Over 10% is considered bad. 6-8% is what you aim for. It doesnt harm anything, just creates heat at the top end and looses et/mph.

Can you read the side walls? :toothy10: :toothy10:

99443456-M.jpg

I have 275-60-15 M/T drag radials. I'll probably keep them for now. I do plan on going with a 325-50-15 later. I started mini tubbing the car today.

These tires and wheels came off a cuda that only had the off set shackles, So they should fit with plenty of clearance with the mini tub and relocated springs.
The tires are hooking now that I have the cal tracs.
I only had to make one small adjustment to the shocks, while I was at the track, to take out the hop it had for the first 30 - 60 ft.
it went from 1.8+ 60' times and now I saw a 1.65

With the springs moved in and the tubs widen I can run more backspacing to tuck them in better. I had 325-50-15s on it before running a 4-7/8" backspacing. They just fit and would rub once and awhile. When Im done I should have room for a 7.5" backspacing.

-
Back