Small Upper ball joint adaptors

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I am considering using the upper ball joint adaptors to disc brake swap a 63 valiant for street use.

The adaptors that allow you to use the original smaller ball joints with the disc brake knuckles which typically use a larger ball joint.

What are your thoughts, are the adaptors a good idea, are they reliable?

has anyone used them successfully. The large ball joint upper control arms seem to be getting scarce and if the adaptors work, then it is an inexpensive convivence.

I think they are ok......but as particular (stupid?) as I am, I still wouldn't use um. lol

So I am considering using the upper ball joint adaptors to disc brake swap a 63 valiant for street use.

The adaptors that allow you to use the original smaller ball joints with the disc brake knuckles which typically use a larger ball joint.

What are your thoughts, are the adaptors a good idea, are they reliable?

has anyone used them successfully. The large ball joint upper control arms seem to be getting scarce and if the adaptors work, then it is an inexpensive convivence.
I got a set of big joint uppers off my 73 that you can have if you want.

I was faced with this decision a couple months back. Ended up going with the 73-76 arms. The adapters probably work alright, they just really aren’t ideal. The 73 arms in addition to the different ball joint are much stronger anyhow.

iffen you need new ball joints, then the most economical bestest way forward is to convert to the big joint arm.

but if your joints and bushings are new-ish, the a-dapt-ors are a viable way forward.

big joint arms are cheap, loaded big joint arms are available, good parts exist at a reasonable cost for the big joint arms.

I was in the same boat awhile back and used them on a 68 Valiant. Got them from Dr Diff.
The car was basic street car, small engine driver. No autocross or stuff like that. Worked for me !

I would have NO problem using them.
The small ball joints are plenty strong enough.

What I have seen of others that have done this is that some ball joint studs are really to short while others may have enough threads to get the nut on all the way with a thread or 2 sticking out under the nut while others don’t have enough threads. Kim

I've been considering them too. My question is will they become "stuck" on the ball joint stud or inside the spindle if I would need to replace the joint or swap to the bigger ball joint at a later point.

-
Back