Some Dakota starter help?

-

YY1

Reaction score
I know a fair number of members have Dakotas-

Last week my Dakota failed to start.
It just clicks, but the clicking is coming from the center of the cowl area, under the wipers.

The starter is reasonably new (about 1.5 years).

I took the battery home and put it in my D-150, where it cranked the 440 with no problem.
(after trying to start the Dakota for about 30 min)

The last time this happened, it was a bad ground connection at the AC compressor.
(from the last time I replaced the water pump) That connection if fine now.

Does anyone know what's up in the cowl area?

...or have any ideas?

Thanks.

I know a fair number of members have Dakotas-

Last week my Dakota failed to start.
It just clicks, but the clicking is coming from the center of the cowl area, under the wipers.

The starter is reasonably new (about 1.5 years).

I took the battery home and put it in my D-150, where it cranked the 440 with no problem.
(after trying to start the Dakota for about 30 min)

The last time this happened, it was a bad ground connection at the AC compressor.
(from the last time I replaced the water pump) That connection if fine now.

Does anyone know what's up in the cowl area?

...or have any ideas?

Thanks.

Starter relay. If it's clicking, it's probably good. I would try to get a test light on the solenoid wire at the starter and see if it gets fire when turning the key to crank.

I thought the starter relay was in the fuse box.

This clicking is most definitely coming from the centerline of the firewall (nothing there) right above the trans.

I was planning to jump the solenoid if I can reach it.

I tried in the parking lot, to jump the starter terminal to the battery but couldn't get in there with the cable clamp.

I thought the starter relay was in the fuse box.

This clicking is most definitely coming from the centerline of the firewall (nothing there) right above the trans.

I was planning to jump the solenoid if I can reach it.

I tried in the parking lot, to jump the starter terminal to the battery but couldn't get in there with the cable clamp.

Read post #2 again. If you'll do that, it cuts through all the "try this" bullshit and tells you whether you have a solenoid signal when the key is turned to crank. If you don't, then you need to backtrack and see "why". If you do, put a starter on it.

I don't have anyone to turn the key.

I'd try tapping on the starter with a hammer to see if that helps. sometimes things get stuck. If it now starts, I'd replace the starter or at least pull in apart enough to see what the problem is. If you have a starter jumper/button assy, use that to see if the starter works by going straight from the battery to the starter. Just make sure you are in park/neutral and the e-brake is firmly applied.

...ad the winner is.....

Bad ground from body to engine.

.....again!

Not sure why this would happen all of a sudden.

Starter tested good.

12v to small wire when key turned (to answer RRR's question)- yes.

Added ground with jumper cable from batt to AC comp- no help, then from batt to cowl- start! and from AC to cowl- start!

Ground from cowl to block is kind of wimpy and disappears to what I can only assume is a back side head bolt connection.

I found a wire in my stash that was pre terminated with rings, heavy gauge and long enough to go from the AC ground to the firewall.

Looks like it could have been factory. I think it's off the 71 Satellite I'm parting.

Thanks for everyone's input.

-
Back