Star Fire Coolant

-

jfive

Reaction score
like may others i have a question about coolant. I know there has been many debates and I really just want to know if anyone has used or heard of this brand and if it is usable in the 70 Swinger? I assume it is yes but figured i toss out the question and see what kind of trouble i could stir up:)...... but the main reason I am asking is I have a tractor company I do work for that sells this stuff for $10 a gallon, the next cheapest I can find around me is $17.99 a gallon. So why is this so cheap?

coolant.jpg

Where is it made? I generally don't buy the cheapest I can find when it comes to lubes and coolants, but a lot of people do and don't have problems.

Conventional ethylene glycol, just like what originally came in your Dart.
Additive packages vary with manufacturer, but you're not gonna hurt anything by using it.
Use a 50/50 mix of concentrate and distilled water.

Reverse osmosis water if you have it, distilled would be next in line .

Reverse osmosis water if you have it, distilled would be next in line .
I've never heard of osmosis water till now. I've always used regular water and never had any issues with my cooling system's. I mix my antifreeze for -40*- -50* below zero. I always tell people that you have to figure in the wond chill factor and driving into the cold. I use only Prestone antifreeze, have for years without any problems.

ahhh the wonderful world of science according to Dan The Man.
ahhh common sense according to Dan The Man. You wouldn't believe the number of people that don't know what I said about the wind chill factor and driving into the cold. Would it bother you that much to give me a little credit for a change?

ahhh common sense according to Dan The Man. You wouldn't believe the number of people that don't know what I said about the wind chill factor and driving into the cold. Would it bother you that much to give me a little credit for a change?
i just... i can't. congratulations DTM, you've officially said something so asinine that i'm at a loss for words.

DTM doesn't live around heavily laydened mineral water. I don't know about that temperature thing either, I drove truck in very sub zero winter weather, states and Canada, I never froze up with 50/50 antifreeze, diesel, another story. Did I just respond to him? Anyway, look up the water thing, it's electrolysis too, on the internet, we all know that's absolutely true!

DTM doesn't live around heavily laydened mineral water. I don't know about that temperature thing either, I drove truck in very sub zero winter weather, states and Canada, I never froze up with 50/50 antifreeze, diesel, another story. Did I just respond to him? Anyway, look up the water thing, it's electrolysis too, on the internet, we all know that's absolutely true!
Don't mean to be rude here but why do you think that they came out with 50/50 antifreeze?

Don't mean to be rude here but why do you think that they came out with 50/50 antifreeze?
To make money off of ppl that don’t know any better. Lol Seriously though this came about from the auto insurance companies. They had complaints from ppl having their vehicles fixed then having them freeze up in the cold. So cya time. Now most garages and body shops use it to refill all vehicles. Lots less claims. Kim

It's good old green anti freeze. It's just a different brand.

Dan being all land locked in the Midwest does not know that Reverse Osmosis is how ships make fresh water on board and how the water in his Diet Coke is filtered at every bottling plant… Where you been? Under a rock?

Last edited:
While wind can effect the rate of cooling of an inanimate object, it doesn't lower its temperature below that of ambient.

Dan being all land locked in the Midwest does not know that Reverse Osmosis is how ships make fresh water on board and how the water in his Diet Coke is filtered at every bottling plant… Where you been? Under a rock?
What oil is used in pole mount transformers?

What’s that have to do with the price of rice in china and water is used in your coolant? You do know tap water should not be used as the promotes electrolysis and rust…
Someone mentioned that since I didn't know about some water that's used in bottling companies and since I didn't know they said that I must have just crawled from under a rock. So I thought that I would mention something about transformers. As far as tap water that's all I used for years and I never had a problem with any of my car's cooling systems.I don't mean to be rude to you or anyone else but I get tired of the rude and disrespectful comments that are said to me. I may not have 2 or 3 car's , I may not have several projects going on but that doesn't mean that I don't have knowledge about car's. Maybe you guys are jealous that it might be possible that someone else knows as much or more than you guys do. I know that I'm not always right and I admit that.

You just got lucky with water. My Dart is from Michigan, the cooling system was plugged with minerals. I actually used a chisel and whatever to knock some of the crustacean loose around the ' freeze ' plugs. The worst case that I have seen in my 74 years. So DTM, feel free to use whatever water type you want, and the next guy can deal with it.
Enough about water.

You just got lucky with water. My Dart is from Michigan, the cooling system was plugged with minerals. I actually used a chisel and whatever to knock some of the crustacean loose around the ' freeze ' plugs. The worst case that I have seen in my 74 years. So DTM, feel free to use whatever water type you want, and the next guy can deal with it.
Enough about water.
I hear that.

....As far as tap water that's all I used for years and I never had a problem with any of my car's cooling systems. I may not have 2 or 3 car's , I may not have several projects going on but that doesn't mean that I don't have knowledge about car's.
dan, not to be rude or disrespectful but your insistence that you have "knowledge about cars" runs entirely contradictory to a lot of the statements you make. let's remember some hits such as: "i don't use a torque wrench" and "avanti's are muscle cars" from your seminal album "DTM summer jams and talkin' nonsense".

at any rate, using distilled water in cooling systems has long been common practice. i skew younger among my colleagues and all those old heads even hammer about the use of distilled, have for years and, that's all i heard growing up from any car guys i knew.

go look at any car repair manual printed in the last 40 years-- chilton, haynes, etx. and they all will mention distilled water. every.single.one. so to say you didn't know is ignorance at best; but more like lazy and stupid.

dan, not to be rude or disrespectful but your insistence that you have "knowledge about cars" runs entirely contradictory to a lot of the statements you make. let's remember some hits such as: "i don't use a torque wrench" and "avanti's are muscle cars" from your seminal album "DTM summer jams and talkin' nonsense".

at any rate, using distilled water in cooling systems has long been common practice. i skew younger among my colleagues and all those old heads even hammer about the use of distilled, have for years and, that's all i heard growing up from any car guys i knew.

go look at any car repair manual printed in the last 40 years-- chilton, haynes, etx. and they all will mention distilled water. every.single.one. so to say you didn't know is ignorance at best; but more like lazy and stupid.
The avanti blew the doors off of the Corvettes of the day, check it out

-
Back