Steering column interchange

-

cli55er

Tem Greene's Nephew
Reaction score
What year steering columns will fit a 70 swinger? It’s a column shifted power steering car. Will a 73 work?

Think the key interlock is different on the 73. But should work. The main thing is the length as the power steering column is shorter and has a different coupler than manual steering.

I have Reilly front suspension, so it wouldn’t matter about length. I’d just have to redo the linkage to the rack. But it would be nice to be able to reuse my good ignition switch and not have to redo my linkage.

The center shaft doesn’t matter. I’d just have to cut the linkage bits that go to the steering rack of the Reilly bits.

By key interlock… are you say my ignition switch wouldn’t transfer over so I could use the old key? There is a 73 column with power steering on eBay….

Also looks like the bottom under dash mounting bracket is a bit different then the 70 with only two mounting points… wonder if my old one will transfer over to the 73?

I got the one off eBay and already picked it up. Looks like my 70 upper housing pieces will go right on. Overall this is a better design if you as me with the bearing held by the spring in the shift tube. This was what I was trying to do with my 70 column. Long story short …. It collapsed cause…. Hammer.

You might want to check the ignition switch and turn signal switch plugs too. I seem to remember something different there. As a whole column, it should fit the car. Some individual parts are different. As Scody21 mentioned, the interlock system is totally different. So is the ignition lock cylinder and the bowl it fits in.

It worked fine and I used my 70 upper column housing and ignition switch and all the guts at the top and that stuff. Works perfect. The bottom mounting plate is different… only 2 mounting points at the studs…. No 3 mounting point and the 70 bracket won’t fit … but it mounted right up regardless.

Basically I have a 70 upper column and 73/4/5/6 lower column.

Ignore the horrible paint job… in a time crunch…. Had to rush the drying… but here is its and it mounts right in

IMG_1355.jpeg

IMG_1357.jpeg

Here is before…. It needs a new lower bearing… noisy… but at least there is a bearing there like I wanted… and it’s a know part and can be replaced. I greased it best I could… it’ll have to do for now.

IMG_1361.jpeg

IMG_1362.jpeg

-
Back