Vin trouble

-

76roadrunner

Reaction score
Hello vets I'm new here. I recently purchased a supposed 76 roadrunner but it has a Dodge Aspen Hood, 7 1/4 rear end, and the vin comes back as 1968 Plymouth volare... At this point I think I'll have to register it as a custom vehicle with all the mix matched parts. Any help truly identifying this vehicle would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Hello vets I'm new here. I recently purchased a supposed 76 roadrunner but it has a Dodge Aspen Hood, 7 1/4 rear end, and the vin comes back as 1968 Plymouth volare... At this point I think I'll have to register it as a custom vehicle with all the mix matched parts. Any help truly identifying this vehicle would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
Sounds like you may have gotten ripped off.

Does the vin on the title match the vin on the dash?

You know pictures sure help those in need.

Does the vin on the title match the vin on the dash?
I don't have a title it's an old car so it'll be pretty simple to register where I live but for 200 bucks a bill of sale was good enough for me.. I was told it originally had a slant six that would explain the lightweight rear differential and why my 360 killed the ring and pinion gears

A '76 Road Runner IS a Volare.

There's that.

What's the first 7 digits of the VIN?

Aspen and Volare used the same hood did they not?

Where are you "decoding" the VIN?

You can't use a 1981 and newer program.

Also, most on-line classic Mopar VIN decoders don't work real well past 1974.

Could your car be a 1978?

Since the VIN only has a one digit year code, it could be assuming a sixth digit of "8" is 1968 and not 1978.

You know pictures sure help those in need.

IMG_20240427_191106_619.jpg

Also, most on-line classic Mopar VIN decoders don't work real well past 1974.

Could your car be a 1978?

Since the VIN only has a one digit year code, it could be assuming a sixth digit of "8" is 1968 and not 1978.
Sixth digit is 8

OK, that fits.

It's a 1978 car, at at least a 1978 VIN.

What are the first 7?

A Volare Roadrunner will "VIN" as a Volare, because after 1975, "Roadrunner" was an option package and not a separate car line, which was previous ly "RM" as the first VIN digits.

-
Back