Weekend started out good, ended early and not so good

-

B3422w5

Reaction score
Got a couple of new bests. Happy about that. But those were Fri night and Saturday morning first thing.
Second round on Saturday( I went red) car acted like it was on ice, then hooked up and took off. Never had it spin like that before( I guess it was spinning, felt like it).
was rewarded with a 7.30 something pass with a 1.90 ish 60 foot.
I put if off to maybe dragging water up to the line or something. Fast forward to the time trial this morning, I look in my rear view mirror in the water box, big smoke off left tire, nothing off the right. Bear in mind I have a spool.
track employee tech guy was up in the tower and told me the same thing I saw, smoke off just driver tire. Came to my pit just to tell me he noticed that.

I get to thinking, when I put on new tires earlier this past week, noticed passenger tire still had groove showing, driver side was shot, zero groove, not fit to run anymore.
I had kinda noticed this issue in the water box for a while, but I thought….,so much smoke, gotta be coming off both tires with a spool
Anyhow, jack the rear end up, both tires turn together. But only one in the water box, and now seemingly at the hit too. Car until this second pass yesterday had been remarkably consistent 60 footing, not stellar, but consistent. And then it went a 1.45 earlier Saturday, very happy with that.
So, anyhow, the way I was pitted, no need to put car in reverse for anything all weekend after getting it off the trailer initially .
Had driven it down to a buddy’s pit because he had a jack, after we looked at it, go to back up out of his pit spot( has a tbrake which I don’t use) but have to push a button to back up car…push the button, just sits there, put it in park, acts like it wants to actually creep forward.
I suspect that spinning on those two passes( or whatever it did) made the tranny go away(904)
so now I have a tranny that won’t work in reverse, try’s to creep in park( all three forward gears still work) and a single
legged rearend that has a spool. What the heck ??
Oh, and it keeps pitching the alt belt every pass, but I think I might have a fix for that.

So my guess is the axles, at least the right one( old and in the car when I bought it) is rolled from turning it driving a good bit on the street, to where the splines are good enough to make both tires turn together with a jack under it, but slips in the water box putting power to it.
Bear in mind the driver side seems fine in the water.
Think the reared end deal has been going on a while, and the spinning at the hit then jumping and taking off twice wacked something in the tranny.
managed to push it off the tilt trailer and drive it in my bay in forward gears.
it’s likely gonana sit for a while.
anyhow, from a nice high, to a crushing low..all in one day

Man that sucks, sorry you're having car issues, especially after I read your post about getting loaded up and ready to go. A lot of hard work ending with a bitter taste. Take a break, then when you get the urge, get it fixed and get back out to the track, it's the only kind of therapy for some of us.

Yeah, but 35 spline you'd think they'd hold up. It'll be interesting to see what's up. Sorry for your run of bad luck. You'll get it fixed.

I destroyed my Moser 8.75 spool rear end too. I've got a spare set of 35 spline axles!

I'm sorry for you Don. That stinks! But you've got a great car, so get a rest and get that thing fixed and back where it belongs on the track!!

I hope you are able to get it fixed and back to enjoying your car, Best Wishes Don.

That stinks ! hopefully its an easy fix .. I can relate .. rather than tow to my local track 1/2 an hour away Saturday I towed two hours away to run their index series race after being 019 on the pro tree I felt pretty good but the car slowed 3 mph after a throttle stop adjustment to go faster on the second time shot. I checked the timing and it was way off after just checking it recently then my starter started to go away again ( seems like I am replacing them every year ) after resetting the timing it started right up , I shut it off and the starter went away for good. A few people were helping me , we charged the battery and it checked out good. Needless to say I couldn't run eliminations but did run my tow vehicle in one of the classes so not to loose the entry , lost first round due to the fact I never ran the truck before and it spun but it did go 95 mph in the 1/4 even though it spun on the my only one time shot . My distributor is tight and not moving . I am wondering if my ATI Super Damper is worn and going bad , mine is pretty old, I read they do wear and can cause timing marks to move. I have a new starter coming and I reset the timing we will see if they move after the starter installation and start up. Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread .. two broken Darts in one weekend isn't cool !

2CF101D0-975B-4B04-99B2-FCF5E3A5591B.jpeg

E81773AE-DEBC-4DF4-B561-8009BB408480.jpeg

Last edited:
Little thinking and researching this morning.
the single leg burnouts with a spool and without linelock( I hold my foot on the brakes in the water box). Might be normal. I am 330 pounds on the driver side, weight bias may make that pass tire “ skid” or not bite as good for a burnout.
car launches straight, went 1.45 60 foot previously with I am sure same issue going on earlier in the day.

second issue with alt belt coming off..first, it’s straight …but I have been using 25-7410 Napa belts, they aren’t a v belt, they are cogged I guess you call it..have teeth in them. I need a smooth pulley sided V belt that has more contact and gets in the pulley deeper. I assume they make such belts…

third thing…tranny I am positive is whacked. Was gonna pull it out at a buddy’s shop and send it out to get freshened and leave my car there a few days..but stuff came up, didn’t happen before season of racing started.
might be a while to make arrangements to get the trans in and out…but that and a correct belt might have me in good shape again..hopefully

I started throwing my belt back in the 1970’s and my buddy told me to go to Gee Bees and buy the cheapest fan belt I could. I did and never threw a belt again. He told me they didn’t stretch as much with the cheaper rubber. I shift lower now and have a real short fan belt so I just grab one from Napa now.

I started throwing my belt back in the 1970’s and my buddy told me to go to Gee Bees and buy the cheapest fan belt I could. I did and never threw a belt again. He told me they didn’t stretch as much with the cheaper rubber. I shift lower now and have a real short fan belt so I just grab one from Napa now.

had a buddy tell me that yesterday. That belt I am using with the teeth has to stretch..because the teeth have gaps in them..makes the belt jump up and come off, even with good alignment.
99% sure it’s coming off in the water box. Hopefully a good v belt will fix it, like you are saying.

Off to my shop to finish putting things away I was too lazy to do last night, was tired.
Wife is in Cincinnati helping her sister out with some stuff decorating, moving stuff around…so after I get done at the shop, gonna be a lazy day…still have my wrist band to get in at the track today if I want to, but today the heat is really starting to come in, and this AC feels good..lol

Last edited:
The observer that told you "no smoke" couldn't tell if they both were spinning?
Only way they don't both spin with a spool is a busted axle (which you would certainly notice) or stripped splines on the axle or spool.
ALL of that is highly unlikely (imo).

The observer that told you "no smoke" couldn't tell if they both were spinning?
Only way they don't both spin with a spool is a busted axle (which you would certainly notice) or stripped splines on the axle or spool.
ALL of that is highly unlikely (imo).
Tower is on driver side of car

I will be very interested to know the cause of this. But….
….What are the new best numbers???!!!

I will be very interested to know the cause of this. But….
….What are the new best numbers???!!!

Went 10.58, 6.70 in the 1/8.
next morning it went 6.64 in the 1/8, probably a 10.48 or maybe 10.49.
Picked up 2 tenths over the old best, with the only change being headers.
the air was good, especially Saturday morning, but not mineshaft. It was in better air when it ran its previous best.
now it’s down with broke tranny

I am not so sure now that it was spinning as much as something was hung up in the trans when I launched the car and it just kinda sat there, then took off.
I hadn’t mentioned before, but after that 6.64 in the time trial, I put a 6.68 dial on it for first round. Figured on holding a couple and air had gotten 2 numbers worse .
my opponent broke in the water box, so I ran it out, ran 6.74, and was a whole 1/10 off and almost half of that in the 60 foot.
think that might have been the tranny beginning to come apart.

After doing a little research, wish I had put it in 3rd gear coming back after that pass. I know first and second work, might have narrowed down what is going on

No reverse, wants to move/ creep in park, first and second good, unsure about third.

Damn Don sorry to hear about all the problems you had. How do you like your new headers? Well this must be the year for everybody breaking there cars. After not raving for 3 years. I got to take my Dakota to the track last Friday. I should of just saved my $150 and stayed home.lol got to the track late and right before it was my turn, some kind of Honda blew up at the end of the 1/4. I guess it blew engine parts across both lanes. Took them two hours to clean up the track. Well I make my first pass and once I get into 3rd gear the truck feels real lazy. I get my time slip and I only ran a 11.40 at 109. I usely run 116. I go back and make my second pass. Truck again feels lazy in 3rd gear. This time as soon as I cross the 1/4 mile mark, my truck dies on me. I get back to my pit spot so I can check my timing and notice at first my fuel pressure guage is not working. I go back to my fuel pump and can hardly hear it running. So I guess my fuel pump took a dump on me. I orderd a new Holley HP 150 pump. Oops sorry for the long winded post. Hope the transmission is a easy fix

Parts break, engines, transmissions and rear ends can explode but each of us viewing this forum at this moment are alive to do it again. That's the passion for racing, you take the good with the bad. Good luck on the fix guys

-
Back