Rocker Panel - fix dent or replace?

-

JAndrea

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

I'm restoring my 69 Fish to Driver Quality.... at least initially. I'll be doing as much of the work on my own that I can. As far as body work, I've got the tools to do any panel patching etc...

My question is how to tackle this particular rocker panel... should I replace a section of it with new metal, or try to pull out the dent and fill it?

Here is the project link:
69 Notch Barracuda - Rebirth

IMG_3112.JPG

IMG_3111.JPG

IMG_3110.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

I would be cutting that out and welding in a new piece - you may find that will never pull back to a point that will work.
remove between the lines

IMG_3112.JPG

you could try heat and hammers - but if you're not careful you'll end up with a bigger mess than you started with - it's pretty easy to "over correct" such a repair. It's in a tough spot..

you could try heat and hammers - but if you're not careful you'll end up with a bigger mess than you started with - it's pretty easy to "over correct" such a repair. It's in a tough spot..
Agreed... I don't like the precarious location one bit.

What you have is bowed in and up. I think you would get a much better line with the door bottom from new metal.

What you have is bowed in and up. I think you would get a much better line with the door bottom from new metal.
Thanks for the great advice... I was pretty worried about the multiple contours etc. Pretty sure this is the direction I'm going.

I agree with replace. The steel there is very strong due to multiple bends and forms. I tried to pull a damaged rocker once, and after a couple hours of struggling, I cut it out and welded in a new chunk. Should have just done it that way first. Faster and easier. That's not saying it can't be pulled, but without proper equipment, it's more difficult.

don't know what kind of body man you are . but i'd cut it out and beat it back to shape and fit it with the door mounted and all lined up . and to make sure it fit with the door gasket . i use a piece of binder paper between the gasket and the rocker to make a nice tight fit . same results in mounting a new china made rocker panel .

-
Back