Summit Racing oil

-

70Duster340

Reaction score
Allow me to preface this post by saying that I in no way desire to begin a urination contest with this topic. Seems engine oil topics always manage to cause a debate, which in itself isn't a bad thing. However, sometimes those debates turn ugly, which is not what I am after. There's my disclaimer.

I see that Summit Racing offers a conventional oil with a high ZDDP level. It's offered in several different weights, and at a very reasonable price. Has anyone here had any experience with this oil? What weight would you recommend for a slightly warmed over 1970 340?

Thanks folks!

A lot has to do with hearing clearances and usage of the car. For the most part, drivers and weekend racers can use 10-30 and never blink about it.

You could use a 5-30 oil if the build is fresh and clearances tight.
I reserve the 10-40 for engines that are very high mileage and/or age due to expanding clearances over its life time.

Allow me to preface this post by saying that I in no way desire to begin a urination contest with this topic. Seems engine oil topics always manage to cause a debate, which in itself isn't a bad thing. However, sometimes those debates turn ugly, which is not what I am after. There's my disclaimer.

I see that Summit Racing offers a conventional oil with a high ZDDP level. It's offered in several different weights, and at a very reasonable price. Has anyone here had any experience with this oil? What weight would you recommend for a slightly warmed over 1970 340?

Thanks folks!

What I have found is that the product is rebranded Spectro Performance Oils product for Summit. Good deal if you are looking for that type of engine oil and can get it at a lower overall price than others or even Spectro itself ($7.99 QT versus $14.99 QT)

I use Summit brand in my old 318 beater that I run hard.
10-40. Works for me.

I like Summit brands on things, so you'll get no argument from me. I will say that except for the 20/50 they have none in stock. It's all special order. Maybe that's because they've just started carrying it. Hopefully it'll be available in the gallon or five quart sizes.

I like Lucas hot rod oil
About 37 bucks per 5 quarts and can usually be had overnight from Amazon.

That is a tough act to compete with

On a side note, when i looked up the summit oil, they suggested blueprint oil as an in stock alternative
I didn't know @Johnny Mac carried that

Yeah, I saw the blueprint oil there. What I didn't see was that the only weight in stock was the 20w50.

I was looking at the shop manual, which advises that any hi-po engines could be run on the 20w50 stuff. Not a good idea for a fresh rebuild? It's been broken in.

I see Summit has their own oil filters, too. Same opinion about those?

I like Lucas hot rod oil

On a side note, when i looked up the summit oil, they suggested blueprint oil as an in stock alternative
The level of ZDDP in that stuff is twice as high as it needs to be effective, and far past what has been proven to cause damage.

The level of ZDDP in that stuff is twice as high as it needs to be effective, and far past what has been proven to cause damage.
Not bein smart, but that's someone's opinion, as there aren't a lot of people lining up claiming ZDDP damage to their engines.

I like what ever I can find on sale that’s in a sealed bottle, in the weight I prefer, like this stuff right here, at $12.99 a gallon.

F6260E34-8A85-4AF1-836B-9A4A862C54D8.jpeg

0AFDE222-4E1E-4352-9F63-DECC8C7C45EE.jpeg

@70Duster340 I see no reason to run a thicker oil than needed. As winter temperatures come in, the oil thickens even more. You want the oil to get where it needs to be on a ASAP level as much as possible. For your freshly broken in rebuild, no heavier oil is needed than a 10-30.

Being In S/ Central FL, I've been using the 20-50 over 30 years, in the Mopars, unless a modern truck or jeep. 70 in older bikes. It gets hot here in the summer, 3/4 of the year. Liked the Kendall back in the day.. the VR1 has been good.

@70Duster340 I see no reason to run a thicker oil than needed. As winter temperatures come in, the oil thickens even more. You want the oil to get where it needs to be on a ASAP level as much as possible. For your freshly broken in rebuild, no heavier oil is needed than a 10-30.
I greatly appreciate your advice, sir. Any opinions on the Summit oil filters?

Not bein smart, but that's someone's opinion, as there aren't a lot of people lining up claiming ZDDP damage to their engines.
You my right about people not lining up, but it's been a widely accepted fact in the lube industry for decades. That's why you'll see many oils from ethical companies sold as racing, and not for street use. I don't know why Lucas doesn't, but they also sell their stabilizer, which is a total ripoff.

I can't believe that summit would sell a inferior oil. It just would not make any sense but to sale a top quality oil product for the lifeblood for motors and parts when that's your business.

I greatly appreciate your advice, sir. Any opinions on the Summit oil filters?
None. Until today, I had no idea they sold oil or oil filters.
You my right about people not lining up, but it's been a widely accepted fact in the lube industry for decades. That's why you'll see many oils from ethical companies sold as racing, and not for street use. I don't know why Lucas doesn't, but they also sell their stabilizer, which is a total ripoff.
Do tell about there stabilizer.

I can't believe that summit would sell a inferior oil. It just would not make any sense but to sale a top quality oil product for the lifeblood for motors and parts when that's your business.
I’ve never heard of the brand. Please provide information and details on what it is that makes that an inferior oil not good for automotive usage.

I’ve never heard of the brand. Please provide information and details on what it is that makes that an inferior oil not good for automotive usage.
what I was trying to say is I would have total faith in summit Brand racing oil for flat tap applications, I don't think it's the best deal out there and there's a lot of good options but I would use it.

Do tell about there stabilizer.
It's a low grade heavy base stock with a tackifier similar to what's in bar and chain oil. It makes oil thicker and dilutes the additive package. That's it. If thicker oil is needed, just use thicker oil that is almost certainly made from a higher grade base stock and has a full strength blended additive package.
It's expensive, so it's a total ripoff. The definition of snake oil. High quality, fully formulated motor oil usually costs less and is much more effective.

I like Lucas hot rod oil

Yup, we have offered both a break in oil, and a high zinc hotrod oil for years. (Cheap insurance on New engines. Even roller cam engines can benefit from it for ring seating, rocker arm wear in, cam gears, etc. :)
We even sell filters !

Oil, Filters, Pans, Dipsticks

I think it's a widely accepted faulty opinion. One with no evidence to back it up.

But we're gettin off track now. Let's not turn this into the pissin contest that the op did not want it to be.

The people that designed these engines decided straight weight 30 was good. Then guys started racing ...higher oil temperatures...now let's say they lived in a cold area / region like Michigan or Detroit to boot.... so they used 20w 50.
All I can say is I would only go lower in much colder temperatures and for no other reason otherwise. I would go heavier due to extreme temperatures from high rpm operations or higher ambient temperatures and no other reason otherwise...Lmao..:rolleyes:
No one should need to tell you what oil to use be a big boy do your homework ...and use common sense that can rebound off history.

Last edited:
Well, it's not that I was asking for someone to tell me what oil to use. I was originally asking if anyone here knew about the Summit Racing oil. But I welcome any opinions and/or tips from the membership. Lots of experience and knowledge that I tend to lean on from time to time. Nothing wrong with that.

-
Back