Today is MSD day

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm off to go install the MSD ignition system in the car today. Full report to follow.... :D

Let us know, I want one of them someday. But then again what don't I want for my car these days. A 451 is on the top of the list but I am short of cash for that :(. I may just end up building a decent 400 for it next summer....
thebeatgoeson.jpg

MSD day went well.... until I blew it up!

Car always had a goofy idle; sometimes it ran, sometimes it would want to stall, other times idled high. Well, after installing the distributor, 6AL, and cutting the wires to fit (another story....), and doing a nice re-wire job, it ran fantasic! Blip the throttle and INSTANT response! Reved like a blender! All was good until I decided to put it in the garage when all of a sudden 3,500RPM idle :shock: I covered the center carb and backed off the idle screw all the way and it still idled at 1,500! My guess is that the power valve was ripped and today I blew it apart. Am I thinking in the right direction? All I know is that changing the valve is going to be a treat.

Six pack, remember? :roll:

Damn John,

That, Sir, truly sucks. Darn center carbs anyway. Good news is that's probably all it is.

You're gonna love that MSD setup, trust me. I went with the coil and 6a box. Waiting on the distributor to show up (been running it with the stock, electronic Mopar distributor and MSD wires.

WHAT a difference and that's a fact.

Jim

69Dart440 said:
Damn John,

That, Sir, truly sucks. Darn center carbs anyway. Good news is that's probably all it is.

You're gonna love that MSD setup, trust me. I went with the coil and 6a box. Waiting on the distributor to show up (been running it with the stock, electronic Mopar distributor and MSD wires.

WHAT a difference and that's a fact.

Jim

So it does sound like the power valve? I'm kinda in the dark on this one. Most of my professional career has centered on fuel injection. Carbs are so, like a co-worker loves to say, "old school".

As for the MSD system, intial impressions are good. Car starts quicker and sounds so much stronger. And I haven't started playing with advance rates yet.... I'm using the pro-billet distributor, 6-AL, and their 8.5mm super conductor wires. I had gotten the cut to fit wires and at first, they broke my b*lls. But after the first two I banged out the rest in no time. For a coil I'm using an Accell super coil.
Unfortunately I couldn't take her out for a spin tonight. Hopefully I'll get the carb sorted out by the weekend.

Thanks for the help Jim :thumrigh:

-
Back