360 oil pan problem

-

ef8340

Reaction score
yesterday i got my pick up tube and decided too swap out my oil pan when i went to put it on i noticed that the rear of the pan was nowhere close to sealing about 3/4 to an inch gap whats the deal with this? my 360 is from a 88 or 89 ramcharger it has a casting date of 12/12/88 as for my oil pan was told it was for a 360 theres a number on the pan 822, is a rear main seal area different between yrs of 360's? will my 318 pan interchange instead ?the 318 is a 73 out of a challenger or do i put the truck pan back on it if so will it fit in my dart?

Thanks Terry

360 an 318/340 pans dont fit each other at all .... the 318/340 is smaller at both ends than the 360 ....an trk pans are rear sump they dont work either ... center sump is your only choice :cheers:

the 360 pan has the front seal the same size as a 318, but the 360 rear seal is actualy smaller than the 318 pan.

thanks for the replies are all 360 car pans the same? if so then it should be no problems going on a 88/89 360 truck motor just wanna make sure i dont waste another day of cleaning and painting a oil pan and wasting a new gasket
thanks again
Terry

I think there is a difference between the 360 magnum and the 360 LA oil pans.
(just like there is a difference between the, torque convertor balance weights, for both engines), even though they are both externally balanced engines.

Check this out at Mancini. You might want to call them.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/gaskets.html

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/oilpangasket.html

As you can see the" Mopar" gasket numbers are not the same for the ( 360 and R blocks), and the (360 magnum).

Hope this helps.

thanks for the replies are all 360 car pans the same? if so then it should be no problems going on a 88/89 360 truck motor just wanna make sure i dont waste another day of cleaning and painting a oil pan and wasting a new gasket
thanks again
Terry

A truck 360 pan will not work in a car. It has a rear sump.
You will need a 360 car pan and matching pick-up, which has sort of a center sump, but closer to the front.

I used a pan off a 360 from a cordoba 77 I think. Put it in my 76 duster with a 71 v-8 K frame. It fits fine.

hey guys another question when i get the right pan from jmacsmopars will i need a 360 car oil dipstick or woulld my dipstick work from my 318?
thanks
Terry

318 one should work but verify the level marks by putting 5 quarts in and a new filter then run the engine and shut down wait for a few minutes and check oil level on stick. should read full. if not remark the stick with new full mark.

Not to hijack this thread, but what pan can I use for a later model magnum 360 in an A-Body?
All the ones I see you guys pointing to say they are up to 1993 only.
Thanks in advance.

The Kevco M302 will fit all magnum motors. even the 5.2l dodge changed the rear main cap on the magnums so they can all use the same pan. So that means if you want to use a stock pan a pan for a car with a 360 will work on your A body with a magnum motor.

Thanks much!
I've seen (2) "center sump" pass car 360 pans, a 392 and an 876. On both the sump ain't exactly "centered but they are referred to as center sump pans cuz they ain't front (van) or rear "truck" pans. On both the sump is ~8" long and on the 392 the sump starts ~4" down from a plumb line straight down vertical from the very front pan lip and the pickup has a sharp bend in it. the 876 pan sump starts ~2" back (the same ~8" length) and its specific pickup has a long radius smooth bend cuz the pickup has to reach further forward from the rear pump to be roughly centered in the sump.

Not to hijack this thread, but what pan can I use for a later model magnum 360 in an A-Body?
All the ones I see you guys pointing to say they are up to 1993 only.
Thanks in advance.

You can use the LA pan on the Magnum engine as long as you use the corresponding pan gasket...

Sorry got another question on this issue. I pulled a 360 engine out of a 79 Charger. I installed in an old Plymouth. To do so I had to go to a truck oil pan with sump in back. Now dipstick registers NO oil. Dipstick still in front. I don't recall if there is a tube in the pan to run dipstick to back.
1. Do all of these pans have adipstick tube? If so anyone know what length dipstick is needed now?

Thanks.

I would imagine that if you have a truck pan, you'll need a truck dipstick & tube. 318 and 360 should be the same, as long as the tube and dipstick are matched.

-
Back